Animals in our lives -  Animal familiars (80 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 15) 
My three cats love to play. They are pretty good about not breaking things, but they get upon shelf units, the computer monitor (for climbing on said shelf unit near it) and lots of other things.

A friend of mine sent me a gift package for the holidays. Included were a ceramic bowl and a wooden spoon, which my friend thought I could use on my altar. At first, I had them on my kitchen table, after I opened the box. Thunder, my youngest cat, who is now 11 months old, liked playing with the spoon. I moved the bowl and spoon to my altar, but I was wondering if he would just take it off the altar and continue playing with it. I began to notice that my cats never seemed to touch my altar at all. Nothing on the altar had ever been moved, including the bowl and spoon after I put them on it.

My incense burner had been knocked over, but I had placed it on a glass shelf for a while, and it got knocked off, but the altar and the items on it have been left intact.

I believe my cats know that the altar is a sacred place and that they respect its importance.

Pete

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/2/02 6:40 PM 
To: solstice63  (2 of 15) 
 7687.2 in reply to 7687.1 
That's really cool Pete
:-)

Our cats-- we have 4 of them-- seem to love to hop on my altar. I have had to move my chalice off of it for fear that they would knock it off and break it.

Maybe the fact that I have hawk, raven, and vulture feathers on my altar has something to do with it... ya think?

LOL

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 15) 
 7687.3 in reply to 7687.2 
I tawt I taw a puddy tat. :)

Pete

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/2/02 10:02 PM 
To: solstice63  (4 of 15) 
 7687.4 in reply to 7687.3 
:-)

My rat, Algernon, is right next to my altar in his cage.

(forgot to mention that)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 15) 
 7687.5 in reply to 7687.4 
Tarty;

I was seriously thinking about adding a rat (or 2) or a few mice to my animal family. My concern is that my three cats would try and eat them, which if they did, would just be natural. Pet store owners tell me this would happen, even with the rats/mice in their cages. How do you make sure your rat is safe from your cats?

Pete

Edited 2/3/2002 11:53:52 AM ET by SOLSTICE63

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 15) 
 7687.6 in reply to 7687.4 
Hi,
Oh I loved it when I had rats! Their life span is so short I kept
getting my heart broken, and no longer have them as companions - but
they were great ones.
I have yet to understand how to keep an altar and my companion animals. I have 3 cats and one 13yr old, 5 foot, never-caged iguana
named Archie. They all have the run of the house. Never have I been
able to keep an alter in tact.
Julie

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/5/02 5:21 AM 
To: solstice63  (7 of 15) 
 7687.7 in reply to 7687.5 
Algernon is always either in his cage or in his rat ball (well, it's really a ferret ball). When I take him out he sits on my shoulders and doesn't go far-- as long as he has a strand or two of hair draped over him he is content. He doesn't have "accidents" when he is on my shoulder either.

When I first got him, the 4 cats were in my room all the time, looking into his cage-- but they have gotten used to him now and basically ignore him.

BUT-- that doesn't mean I would trust him out with the cats around.

Popeye killed and ate a huge gopher yesterday (bigger than Algernon) almost ate a snake (until I rescued it) and later ate a lizard.

Uggg....
Oh.. and the snake got loose and is in my bedroom somewhere...

LOL

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/5/02 5:22 AM 
To: juliawillow (JBanniste1)  (8 of 15) 
 7687.8 in reply to 7687.6 
Oh my!

I guess that would be hard!

To: solstice63  (9 of 15) 
 7687.9 in reply to 7687.1 
That is pretty cool that they respect your spiritual space!

Image created by Insane (DEEMEMA) at Seekers of Olde Knowledge

If your walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 15) 
 7687.10 in reply to 7687.7 
With all respect to the snake (may they stay safe and two miles away from me in all directions) I'd be moving right about now.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-15
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.