Living it! -  "What do 'you people' do on Easter?" (90 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 12) 
I'm on my way to attend my local UU church. The subject of today's sermon, according to the church bulletin is, "What do 'you people' do on Easter?". I haven't even heard it yet (and look forward to it - the senior minister is great - he's the only person I've ever heard give a sermon based on the story of the ring of Gyges from Plato's "Republic").

So, let us discuss what Pagan people do on Easter...since the Xians stole a lot of the holiday from Paganism. Easter eggs and the Easter bunny are only a start. To begin, I think of other myths of descent and return from the Underworld. Attis, Persephone, and Orpheus are just a start. I think of Odin hung on His tree, and why He was there.

I think of Prometheus, his gift to mankind, and the price he paid. I wonder whether that sacrifice was more redemptive than that in the myth in which Someone who knew they were the Son of God and had nothing to fear spent a short week-end in Hell. I wonder whether being washed in the Blood of the Bull was more or less efficacious than that of the Lamb.

I wonder at the many well-lived lives that were lived 'in imitation of Christ.' I could go on and on. But I have a kid that wants their Easter basket (*G*).

See ya!
BH

Reply   Options 

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 12) 
 8262.2 in reply to 8262.1 
Easter is about fluffy bunnies, the worship of Chocolate, candy, eggs and pastel colors... For the kids, anyway :)

While within, I spend a little time contemplating life, Universe, the return of flora... (I sometimes celebrate by caring for a new plant... this year, Ivy, who we addopted about a week or so ago)... I think of Nuit and her egg, the womb of the Universe... I think of pregnant mothers I see, those choosing this time to carry children, will they and may they find the same joys that I see in the eyes of children...

Next comes a holy-day that cannot always be set within a callendar... the return of butterflies... a time of metomorphosis and magick.

It's nice to have you back, Larry :)

Chaos Zen

To: Chaos Zen&#174 (KYCHAOS)  (3 of 12) 
 8262.3 in reply to 8262.2 
and hiding easter eggs for the Grandchildren
I like that part best

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/20/03 8:44 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (4 of 12) 
 8262.4 in reply to 8262.1 
Let us know how the UU service went!

I still have to get out to the UU Church in R. P. V. and see my old minister from back east. Some day soon I will

Let's see-- at this time of year I think of Persephone's return from the Underworld (and I can definately relate to that) and I look at my gardens and watch patiently for the first sprouting of the seeds I planted last week.

:-)

Help!!!

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 12) 
 8262.5 in reply to 8262.4 
I eat rabbit.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 12) 
 8262.6 in reply to 8262.4 
(just kidding?)

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/20/03 10:25 PM 
To: Ssmythe (TIEFLING)  (7 of 12) 
 8262.7 in reply to 8262.6 
LOL

I've never had rabbit myself-- is it good?

(well, I do eat chocolate bunnies)

Help!!!

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (8 of 12) 
 8262.8 in reply to 8262.1 
I slept in and we ordered really crappy pizza for dinner. That was the extent of bunny day for me.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 12) 
 8262.9 in reply to 8262.7 
We actually had a ham, not rabbit. Although I did suggest it to my family, they cringed at the thought of eating bunny on Easter! I've had it before though...very yummy, and it doesn't taste like chicken! Well, a little bit....

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/21/03 11:07 AM 
To: Ssmythe (TIEFLING)  (10 of 12) 
 8262.10 in reply to 8262.9 
One year for "Easter" I made a meatloaf shaped like a rabbit..

:-D

Help!!!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-12
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.