Herbs and other growing things -  Herbal remedies for joint pain (199 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/27/03 9:26 PM 
To: All  (1 of 43) 
Greetings all,

Does anyone have any ideas about herbal remedies for joint pain?

I really blew out my knees from years of dancing and it's taking it's toll on me. I love to go hiking, and am fine for long distances, but steep inclines make my knees burn so badly. I also have some problems with my left hip joint. (actually, I feel pain there every waking minute, but most of the time it is mild)

The S.O. suggested that I take glucosamine and I am taking a combination of MSM and Glucosamine two or three times a day. It's too early to tell if it is really working but I haven't been in as much pain in the past week as I have in the past few months

Anyway, I'd like to try natural remedies before I start chemical ones, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know

Thanks,
Tarty

Reply   Options 

To: Chaos Zen&#174 (KYCHAOS)  (2 of 43) 
 8313.2 in reply to 8313.1 
Bump for you to see this.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 43) 
 8313.3 in reply to 8313.1 
I bumped the message for CZ to look.  He's usually good with this sort of stuff.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/28/03 12:43 PM 
To: MAGIKCAT DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 43) 
 8313.4 in reply to 8313.3 
Thanks Cat

:-)

I think Saff will have some suggestions too.

To: MAGIKCAT DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 43) 
 8313.5 in reply to 8313.2 
I've seen it, but cannot realy offer any advice.

The best remedy I know of involves a type of poison berry and slowly building up a tollerence to it, so I do not recomend it to anybody who is not already familiar with it.

It may seem odd, but cultures around the world use various potent poisons for joint pain. In some rain forests, shaman of primitaive tribes would take strong poison such as curari (sp?) apply a single drop to a thorn, then stick it barely through the skin at the joint experiencing pain. The poison will then numb the pain while relaxing muscles to allow healing.

In Kentucky, older folks who live in isolated areas will sometimes use misteltoe and other toxic berries and eat a very small ammount each day, slowly building up a tollerence and increasing the dosage until after 4 to 6 months when they consume 1-2 full berries each day for arthritis and other similar pains.

[[[ WARNING: Do NOT try any of this! It could kill a person who does not know what they are doing ]]]

Chaos Zen

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/28/03 5:27 PM 
To: Chaos Zen&#174 (KYCHAOS)  (6 of 43) 
 8313.6 in reply to 8313.5 
Well, thank you for taking the time to post. And don't worry, I'm not going to eat any poison berries

Heh heh

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/1/03 2:55 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (7 of 43) 
 8313.7 in reply to 8313.1 
Bump for you.

I figure if anyone has any suggestions, it would be you
:-)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 43) 
 8313.8 in reply to 8313.1 
Might want to consider type of pain... remember, pain is a sign, not usually what's wrong (hope that makes sense.. this Merc in Retro has me all tongue tied lately... ack!)..

So.. is it pain from inflammation? From the pads within the joint sockets wearing thin and causing bits inside to grind? From arthritis? You might want to consider going to a doc to see what and where the pain is being generated.. not location, but cause. There might be something more, phys therapy wise they can give you to help build up the use and lessen the pain. You might also consider going to a chiropractor... sometimes when our back and other joints are whacked out, they can cause ripples of joint problems down the line.. so it could be something upstream that causes pain downstream. Like TMJ can cause pain down the arm, into the shoulder and even in the back but the origin of the pain is the jaw.

Those are my suggestions. I wouldn't advise anything herbal without knowing more about where the pain is originating and how it's being caused. Covering up pain with painkillers (herbal or OTC or prescription) IMHO can be a recipe for worse things later down the pike. I cringe when I see that one commercial for a painkiller... the commercial is like "I was in such pain, then I took this product and was able to continue on with my day"... my initial thought.. erm.. nevermind you could be doing more damage to the rest of ya!

I hope all that helps. If you find the pain is something like arthritis or something else, there might be an herbal thing we can help you with. But at this point, I'd consider doing some more sleuthing with a doc and/or chiropractor.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/1/03 4:15 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (9 of 43) 
 8313.9 in reply to 8313.8 
I think it's from deep inside the joints, but every test I have had fro arthritis has come up negative (this has been an ongoing problem for a while, although it's gotten more severe in the past year or so).

The doctors I've gone too have all done the same thing-- just put me on pain killers. I have such a low tolerance to pain meds (the ones I am not allergic to that is) , and I absolutely detest going about my day in a fog

So... I'm trying to look at herbal remedies right now.

It seems that the glucosimine and MSN is helping a bit. At the very least, I haven't had as much pain in the past few weeks, but it could be coincidence...

Thanks Saff for the advice, and if it becomes unbearable, I will go back to the Dr and see if they come up with anything new

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 43) 
 8313.10 in reply to 8313.6 
I took Devils claw for years. I am now off of it and pain free.
It worked for me, bur for others gave them stomach trouble.

Bows............ Salem3x3

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-43
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.