Requests-prayers,energy,etc, -  Smoking cessation help! (81 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/8/03 3:48 PM 
To: All  (1 of 20) 
Greetings all!

I quit smoking when the S.O. and I went on vacation. The first five days were easy. I was away from home, with him 24/7 (he doesn't smoke and was incredibly supportive), and used the nicotine gum for added support (although I found I needed it less than I thought I would)

It's been over a month now, but I am still having a lot of trouble. I find I still need the gum and the temptation is still there.

It doesn't help that I have two roommates who smoke like chimneys-- in the house.

I'd love to hear from those of you who successfully quit, how you did it, how you stayed away, how long since you quit, etc

Thanks
Tarty

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 20) 
 8369.2 in reply to 8369.1 
You're in recovery from an addiction.. first off, give yourself a break (no, not a smoke break... an emotional one)... recovery is HARD and is a lifelong process... I quit smoking years ago and it took a couple times to finally get it down. Each time I went back though, smoking actually got harder, grosser... the last time I quit it was basically cuz I couldn't stomach it anymore. It made me sick to my stomach to light up which made it a lot easier to quit... the major reason I went back though each time I had quit was usually stress related. If you can do ANYTHING to help alleviate stress without turning to such a harmful substance do... meditate, chant, sing, do yoga, take a walk, take a DEEP breath... read up on how your body will heal itself after not smoking for a while... look up pictures of blackened lungs to remind yourself of the damage that few people even know is happening to their bodies when they smoke.

Just know that it IS possible to continue recovery for the rest of your life, learn your triggers and seek help and support in your weak moments. Reach for a hug, not a cig. Recovery is hard when you're faced with the addiction... too bad there's not an anonymous program for smokers, but one could apply the principles of the 12 step program to kicking any addiction. When you're faced with the temptation, try to remove yourself or divert your attention.. get focused on something else.. have a time out in your room if you need.

Good luck and remember, not only will you be healthier but you'll be RICHER! LOL.. Cigs are EXPENSIVE.. at least around here..

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/9/03 1:21 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (3 of 20) 
 8369.3 in reply to 8369.2 
Thanks ((((Saff)))),
I know all that stuff, but I really need to hear it from someone else. Right now work is really stressful-- I'm in the middle of an 8 day stretch without a day off until next Wednesday.

I can do it.. I can do it...

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 20) 
 8369.4 in reply to 8369.3 
Yes you can and you can do it better without smoking... just remind yourself that smoking will slow you down in more ways than one. ;-)

You CAN do it
You WILL do it
You one strong lady

From: Javert (JackFrost69) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/9/03 10:18 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 20) 
 8369.5 in reply to 8369.1 
Like I told you a long time ago hon, I just put them down and never picked them back up again. It was easy for me, and I don't know why. I guess I just never really liked doing it in teh first place. I did keep my pipes, and smoke them in the winter sometimes, but hell, I've even given that up now. Haven't smoked anything in years.

Not very inspirational, huh?

Troubles Tavern

Laughter Bar & Hotel

An
Adult Erotica Forum

Member of Nobility
Go ahead... I dare you!

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 20) 
 8369.6 in reply to 8369.1 
I smoked for about 20 years, had a two pack a day habit. Then about 25 years ago, I gave it up cold turkey, and have never gone back to the stuff. What helped me was greed......I just imagined all the other nice things I could buy with the money I wasn't spending on tobacco.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/10/03 3:18 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (7 of 20) 
 8369.7 in reply to 8369.4 
I can...

I just bought some more of the gum today-- it's expensive but still cost less than $4.50 a day and smelly breath and clothes...

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/10/03 3:19 AM 
To: Javert (JackFrost69) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 20) 
 8369.8 in reply to 8369.5 
Thanks for sharing that. Yes, it is inspirational. The more people tell me that they sucessfully quit, the more I believe that I can do it too

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/10/03 3:20 AM 
To: BEOWULF (beowulf51)  (9 of 20) 
 8369.9 in reply to 8369.6 
True that... I already have noticed that I have more money left over after paying bills than I did before

:-)

From: Javert (JackFrost69) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/10/03 11:55 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 20) 
 8369.10 in reply to 8369.8 
Hey, you could take up dark chocolate covered espresso beans as your new habit. *G*

Troubles Tavern

Laughter Bar & Hotel

An
Adult Erotica Forum

Member of Nobility
Go ahead... I dare you!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.