Paganism -  SciFi channel wants "Real Witch" (85 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/14/03 12:46 AM 
To: All  (1 of 7) 
Greetings all,

It seems that a proposed reality show, called "Mad Mad House" has some Pagans up in arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the SciFi channel:
SciFi Channel page

•Mad Mad House. This show puts contestants into Alt Manor, a house inhabited by a vampire, a witch, a voodoo priest, a yoga master and a psychic, where the contestants must compete in a series of increasingly bizarre challenges to claim a grand prize. Arthur Smith and Kent Weed, from A. Smith & Company, produce the series, which will be distributed by USA Cable Entertainment, a unit of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, which also owns SCI FI and SCIFI.COM.

The SCI FI Channel is seeking five people with "alternative lifestyles" to appear in its upcoming reality series Mad Mad House. Producers are seeking people who identify themselves as Wiccans, vampires, Trekkers, witch doctors, "modern primitives," yogi masters, etc., to live together in "Alt Manor" for a month and compete for a grand prize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the casting call site:
http://www.craigslist.org/tfr/10777199.html

Real Witch Wanted
New reality based TV show for the Sci Fi Channel is looking for a practicing Witch who can cast spells and conduct moonlit rituals.

We are scouring the country to put together a group of outrageous, eccentric and entertaining individuals who live very alternative lifestyles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An online petition, being forwarded by Dorothy Morrison and others can be found here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmh2003/petition.html

Exerpt from the petittion:
This program is an outrage. Being of the Pagan faith, I am offended by the blatant stereotype-casting going on in this program. The network is looking for some eccentric to inaccurately represent a legitimate religion. What will this prove? It will paint an inaccurate picture of the vast majority of Pagans/Witches......

Edited 5/14/2003 1:48:58 AM ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

Edited 5/14/2003 1:52:34 AM ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/14/03 1:17 AM 
To: All  (2 of 7) 
 8395.2 in reply to 8395.1 
And this is one of the reasons I no longer watch TV....

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 7) 
 8395.3 in reply to 8395.1 
This has been floating all over the net. Personally, my one wish would be for a real witch to lie to get on the show and then show them what a REAL witch is all about.

My feeling bout the online petition is that it's not gonna do a thing. So many folks are putting their craft names to it that it's most likely not going to do much more than prove to the show's execs that we are kooks (no offense of course..). Personally, I think a letter writing campaign using our real names would have more impact. Either via email or snail mail or both. What's an online petition gonna mean to them? Nothing... even if a couple thousand sign it, they're thinking of the millions of folks for ratings they'll gain.

Remember, protest can work both ways. The gal that protested against Married with Children actually ended up getting more folks to watch the show (to see what the hubbub was) and the show continued on for a good, what, decade or so. What would be ideal is to show them what a REAL witch is all about. We don't protest when a fictional movie comes out portraying witches in a bad light, and in most folks' eyes reality tv is just as fictional.

Just my two cents..

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/15/03 1:43 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (4 of 7) 
 8395.4 in reply to 8395.3 
I agree that online petitions don't do a damn thing.

The show will go on, SciFi will get their "Witch" and said Witch will be exactly what they are looking for. People will watch the show, and I don't think it will have much effect on the way people view Witches. Those who think Witches are kooks will have that idea reinforced. Those who are angry about it now will continue to be angry.

It would be nice if someone could play their game until they are on the show and then turn the tables on the SciFi people, but I doubt they would allow that to air.

I don't have much interest in TV and I won't be watching this show

Tarty

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 8395.5 in reply to 8395.2 
Yeh, I agree. I don't watch much of it either. It's either depressing or totally stupid. Reading is MUCH better.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/16/03 1:29 AM 
To: Bunny138  (6 of 7) 
 8395.6 in reply to 8395.5 

Reading, gardening, hiking, cuddling with someone you care about
:-)

It's all good

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 7) 
 8395.7 in reply to 8395.6 
I'm for that.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.