Animals in our lives -  Munchkin Cats? (130 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 22) 
 8448.8 in reply to 8448.1 
i heard about these cats a few years ago, they were found in louisiana a perfectly normal cat had given birth to a litter with shorter legs than usual. the reporter who did the story thought these little guys (the munchkins) would make great pets for people who live in apartments because the wouldn't be able to jump up on kitchen counters and on window sills.

as for breeding them for their deformity, have you ever seen a real persian cat? they had a normal nose about 100 years ago, until some one started breeding them for a more pushed in nose. these animals now have eye problems along with problems breathing.

for some reason humans seem to think they can remake the god/goddesses creations and make them better.

brightest blessings,
grammie

Edited 6/5/2003 7:36:57 PM ET by grammie (GRAMMIE01)

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 22) 
 8448.9 in reply to 8448.7 
I would wager if you kept them indoors they would be fine. If they're kept away from predators, and nothin is put at a level they can't get it, I bet they would be just fine. I think they'r kind of cute myself, but we can't have more cats until we get a house of our own.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/6/03 1:17 AM 
To: grammie (grammie01)  (10 of 22) 
 8448.10 in reply to 8448.8 
Yeah, Grammie, this worries me.

I don't know how long they could have been studied (according to the hostess of the munchkin cat forum, they were developed by a vet who studied them intensely. The hostess states they have none of the problems related to dwarfism in all other species). I have a feeling that in years to come, physical problems will become apparent.

These aren't miniatures, they are dwarves. Cats with normal sized bodies on shortened legs. Since a cat's body is designed specifically for their mobility, long sleek bodies and long legs, I can't see how having shortened legs could benefit the animal at all. I see this as a fad. People re-designing the cat to suit their own needs to have something "different".

I think of horses. Miniature horses are just that-- horses that are much smaller than normal. A dwarf horse-- that is a horse with a normal sized torso, neck and head, but with vey short legs would have some drastic problems.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tarty

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/6/03 1:19 AM 
To: SMADRONIA  (11 of 22) 
 8448.11 in reply to 8448.9 
I'm sure they are adorable, but I don't think they have been around long enough as a seperate breed to establish the possible health problems to the cats by breeding for this specific abnormal gene.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 22) 
 8448.12 in reply to 8448.11 

What about the same problems that are inherant in wiener dogs?  They all prone to or develop so level of back problems due to the long body and short legs.

Seems to me that with as active as cats are jumping about, that these cats would be prone to it as well.

It will take YEARS and many many many cats for anyone to PROVE there is a link to this or that malady, AND of course, some one would have to actually look for it.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/18/03 11:46 PM 
To: Renpet422 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (13 of 22) 
 8448.13 in reply to 8448.12 
Yep, I have some of the same concerns. I guess only time will tell with this

To: Dena (UNICORN8)  (14 of 22) 
 8448.14 in reply to 8448.3 
People can be such disturbing creatures.

To: grammie (grammie01)  (15 of 22) 
 8448.15 in reply to 8448.8 
Human arrogance is wonderful, no? "It would please me for this animal to look a certain way, and so it shall." I can see breeding animals for hunting, but for purely cosmetic reasons? That's making animals suffer for our sin of Vanity.

Sudden thowt... if God put us on earth to oversee the animals, and we visit one of our deadly sins on them, what's the repercussion for us? Does St Peter sit at the Gates and just laugh in disbelief all day as he waves us over to the "Down" stairs?

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (16 of 22) 
 8448.16 in reply to 8448.1 
To be honest, I have not looked at that site. I find it the utmost arrogance on the part of humans to manipulate other beings for their own ends. The Goddess put each creature here just as they should be.
Recently my wife and I purchased some chicks from a local feed store. Now, we did not buy these animals for any other purpose then to enjoy their company. We are vegans. Some of these chickens were ones that, unknown to us, were bred to produce meat faster and in larger quantity. We discovered that they have shorter lives, and are prone to problems with their legs and to heart attacks. All because humans want more meat faster. At times I can not stand my fellow humans.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/23/03 1:13 AM 
To: scottishbear  (17 of 22) 
 8448.17 in reply to 8448.16 
Aww, that is so sad about the chicks.

Yeah, we humans really treat a lot of animals like crap. From genetically engineering them to our specifications, to breeding in desired traits so they look more pleasing to us, to injecting them with hormones and steroids and all kinds of crap, to subjecting them to torture so we can have mascara that doesn't run....

It's overwhelming when you look at the big picture and see how much of this is going on everywhere.

And it makes me very very sad

Navigate this discussion: 1-7 8-17 18-22
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.