Living it! -  A real life treasure hunt! Arrr! (131 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/6/03 1:23 AM 
To: All  (1 of 15) 
Greetings all,

The S.O. and I did something really cool today that I wanted to share with you. We're constantly trying to find new things to do outside. (We enjoy hiking and camping and we are lucky there are a ton of opportunities to do that where we live)

Today we decided to try "Geo-Caching" (pronounced Ge-o-cashing). The way it works is, you look up a Geo-Caching adventure on the internet and then set out to find the treasure. There are tons posted and they go by area. Plug in your zip code and you will receive geo-caching adventures near you. You have to have a GPS (Global Positioning System) device because you are given clues and coordinates. You set off following clues by the coordinates until you come to a "cache" or treasure. Usually it is a small box (like an altoids tin) with small items in it, and a tiny log book. You can take one item and leave another item, log your find in the book, and then replace the tin for others to find.

We had a blast on the two adventures we went on today and are trying to come up with our own Geo-caching hunt which we will then post at the site.

Anyway, if you are interested in reading more about it, how it works, and how you can do some geo-caching in your area, go to the home page at:
http://www.geocaching.com/

Tarty

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/7/03 2:46 PM 
To: All  (2 of 15) 
 8464.2 in reply to 8464.1 
And here we go again
:-)

Three geo-caches down by the S.O.'s house that we are trying today. I'll let you know if we find any treasure

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/7/03 2:46 PM 
To: All  (3 of 15) 
 8464.3 in reply to 8464.1 
Er......

Does this qualify us as geeks?

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/8/03 2:09 AM 
To: All  (4 of 15) 
 8464.4 in reply to 8464.2 
Well, we hiked a mile and a half up into the mountains and found the first cache-- What a beautiful view up there! We had two delays getting to this spot--the first when we came upon two huge and very lost dogs and I decided that we needed to share one of our water bottles with them. I don't think I have ever seen dogs this thirsty
:-(
The second delay was when we came upon a 5 foot long snake slowly making it's way across the trail.

Then we hiked about a mile and a half down into a canyon and found the second cache... still having a lot of fun with it

Then we headed for the third cache and got lost.... We tried following a stream that we figured would lead out to a main road eventually... but we came to a waterfall and a 40 foot drop, so we had no choice but to climb out of the canyon...er.. without a real trail to follow... and we only had one bottle of water left..,

4 hours after we found the second cache we finally made it up out of the canyon and onto a dirt road that eventually lead to a very high scale neighborhood, and then made our way back to the car...

Man, do my feet hurt....

But it was still a lot of fun!

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 15) 
 8464.5 in reply to 8464.4 
This sounds like fun! You got me actually thinking of buying a GPS just to start doing it, well, it'd be fun with the jeep I bought too. *G*
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/18/03 10:39 PM 
To: MILPOL  (6 of 15) 
 8464.6 in reply to 8464.5 
Cool!

It is a lot of fun, especially when you find the cache and see all the stuff packed inside. If you want any pointers just ask.

:-)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 15) 
 8464.7 in reply to 8464.6 
Will make sure that I do. But, still have to buy a gps. Right now all my money is going into throwing an 80's party this Saturday and buying some new camping equipment for next weekend!

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/18/03 11:43 PM 
To: MILPOL  (8 of 15) 
 8464.8 in reply to 8464.7 
I wanna come to your 80's party!

Oh wait.. I have to be at the Harry Potter party at my store

dern it

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 15) 
 8464.9 in reply to 8464.8 
LOL I'll have to post some pics afterwards here. I'm getting pretty excited, think it'll be fun!

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/20/03 1:10 AM 
To: MILPOL  (10 of 15) 
 8464.10 in reply to 8464.9 
Is your Mom going to be there? Maybe I will take vacation days and come up anyway

LOL

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-15
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.