Living it! -  Yucca and rattlesnakes and bears, oh my! (58 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/15/03 9:04 PM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 
Greetings all,

Just wanted to tell you about my weekend camping trip. I took the S.O. to his first Pagan gathering and he had a blast-- so did I
:-)

We had 120 Pagans camping at 5000 feet in the Angeles National Forest. It was hazy and icky down in LA but the skies were blue up in the mountains. The Yucca was flowering which is a special treat. This particular type of yucca grows for ten years before it flowers. It then shoots up one flowery spike that can be anywhere from 4 to 8 feet tall. When the flower dies, the whole plant dies.

We had some bears in the campsite this year. We usually have an adult or two who come through at night and try to raid the dumpsters, but this year we had a cub of about 1 1/2 years old who would come through in broad daylight and swipe stuff off picnic tables -- even if someone was sitting at the table... LOL

Ok, so it may not seem funny to those of you who haven't dealt with bears before...

We would just yell at the bear and scare it off into the woods. There are a lot of bears up in those mountains, and seeing at least one when you are camping is not uncommon at all. You cannot feed them though-- ever! If you do and the bears get used to people, the rangers have to destroy them, and that is a terrible thing. We have a saying "A fed bear is a dead bear"
:-(

I also walked right into a rattlesnake when the S.O. and I were hiking about 1/2 mile from camp. (Ok, this is the second time I have walked up to a rattlesnake unaware-- the first time was in East Texas 4 years ago). It wasn't a big snake and it just slitered into the brush. We're used to rattlers up here too...

You have to make noise when you are hiking to scare away the rattlers, bears and mountain lions (Yep, we got them too) and you're usually quite safe.

Anyway, it was a gorgeous weekend and I got a bit of sunburn and a few bug bites (and a little ..er... sauced.. at the drum circle last night) but it was a lot of fun

Tarty

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/18/03 10:51 PM 
To: All  (2 of 5) 
 8476.2 in reply to 8476.1 
And here's a few pics of that bear

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/19/03 11:40 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 8476.3 in reply to 8476.1 
Waaaaaaahaaaahaaaaa damn I wish I could have been there. Did Paul make it?

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/20/03 1:12 AM 
To: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 8476.4 in reply to 8476.3 
Yeppers, Paul made it. We had our own little section where about 7 of us camped. We sang Renn Fair songs at the top of our lungs all day and er.. there was a lot of other stuff I can't tell you about here..

Heh heh

You HAVE TO make it next year!

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/20/03 8:59 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 8476.5 in reply to 8476.4 
Oh gods I absolutely have to!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.