Animals in our lives -  Animal Talk: East and West (25 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 2) 
Why Animals Talk in America
Commentary, Andrew Lam,
Pacific News Service, Jun 24, 2003

Editor's Note: Growing up in Vietnam, animals spoke to the author in folklore or through mysterious calls in the night. Now the animal creations of Hollywood and Madison Avenue entertain, but deliver no mystical or spiritual messages.

Finding Nemo Last week I took my 7-year-old nephew to see "Finding Nemo," the animated movie about a nervous clownfish in search of his "fish-napped" son. Though we both loved it, out in the sunlight my mind veered back to my Vietnamese childhood, where animals did not exist simply to entertain.

In that tropical world where wild parrots fought over every ripened star fruit in our lush garden, I, unlike my nephew, knew no Bugs Bunny, no Donald Duck and certainly no talking clownfish. But when an alligator was spotted in the river, children gathered on the bridge and screamed and watched with delight, fascination and fear.

To continue: Animal Talk

Ken, the Lionhearted

Economics with Heart --Host

American Soundoff --Assistant

The Sapient Santuary --Assistant

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/6/03 10:39 PM 
To: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 2) 
 8524.2 in reply to 8524.1 
Very interesting article Ken, with some valid points. The commentary at the bottom also has some valid points.

:-)

Tarty

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.