Living it! -  Ishmael (141 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 17) 
So.. has anyone else read this book? It's by Daniel Quinn... if you haven't, I recommend you go out and read it as soon as you can... it's quite an interesting concept, powerful message and frankly made me go out and get The Story of B by the same author which takes the message even further. It was recommended at a pantheist site but has a wonderful spin on some stories from the Bible and shows how they're allegories for how we (modern man) came to be and how it's not a good spot for the human race as a whole...

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/21/03 10:57 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (2 of 17) 
 8555.2 in reply to 8555.1 
I haven't read it yet-- but I think I have it somewhere here..

*looks around at the 4 bookcases and books piled everywhere*

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 17) 
 8555.3 in reply to 8555.2 
Do get around to it.. it goes quickly enough (the reading) but it's one of those thought "bombs".. it continues to go off in your head afterwards.. it scrapes off a layer of life and reveals the myth we're all playing in... and how for all our programs to save the whales, save the earth, help the starving kids, et al, we're really not doing much because it's our CULTURE that has set these things we're dealing with now in motion... can't stop a train with a water pistol kind of thing... it may be fiction but it speaks a world of truth!

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/23/03 2:21 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (4 of 17) 
 8555.4 in reply to 8555.3 
It sounds very interesting-- Ok, it goes on my list

:-)

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (5 of 17) 
 8555.5 in reply to 8555.1 
I have not, but it is one of my best friend's favourite books.

If you're walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

Check us out at Divinity Sisters

To: Chakrachick  (6 of 17) 
 8555.6 in reply to 8555.5 
It's a real mind opener... it's also influenced how I perceive things like the news (from any source.. be they liberal, conservative or midline)... The Story of B takes the concept further into thought and the human bearer of the idea in the book is perceived as an antichrist... interestingly enough.

How's life with baby?

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (7 of 17) 
 8555.7 in reply to 8555.1 
"Ishmael" is GREAT! I found it several years ago--in Chinaberry catalog, I think it was. (I've found some WONDERFUL books in the Chinaberry catalog.) I read one review that said something about how some books divide time, like before I read this and after I read this. "Ishmael" was one of those books.

To: Bunny138  (8 of 17) 
 8555.8 in reply to 8555.7 
Definitely.. I agree with that. I read that same quote too and I was like "yeah, okay, whatever".. and even when I started reading the book I was like "yeah, okay, whatever" then it hooked me in and I kept looking at the spine to make sure it was indeed fiction cuz it just wrung home so true.

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (9 of 17) 
 8555.9 in reply to 8555.6 
Maybe if I ever get to where I can read regularly again, I will borrow my best friend if I can borrow her copies.

Life with the baby is good, but exhausting!
How are things with you?

If you're walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

Check us out at Divinity Sisters

To: Chakrachick  (10 of 17) 
 8555.10 in reply to 8555.9 
Exhausting as well! LOL.. I only had time with a book when we had a yard sale and nothing to do but sit with the kids and read while they played and no one really stopped by.. though we did sell the baby swing. Ah well.. between work, baby, house and home I've been running around like a loon... and with work, I'm hoping to step things up with my freelancing.. I'm opening an office, thinking about hiring on someone part time IF my one client proves to grow as big as he's expecting (which will have me focusing most my time with their company and me needing someone to fill in with my other clients).. so, lots going on. *sigh*

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-17
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.