Think About This! -  Doctors pay for long waiting time (191 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/6/03 9:34 PM 
To: All  (1 of 23) 
Recently a man sued his doctor for making him wait for over 3 hours, and won! (article to follow).

I'm curious to hear how you feel about this. In some states, you can bill a doctor for your time if you have to wait for over an hour for a scheduled appointment.

A friend of mine was kept waiting for 2 hours at her dentist's office last week. The dentist had half completed a root canal and then left my friend, saying she would be right back. After 2 hours, my friend got up out of the chair, told the receptionist she was leaving and scheduled an appointment with another dentist who finished the job the next day.

I can't say that I blame my friend for leaving.

I could see waiting a long time if you go to the emergency room at a hospital for a non-life threatening injury or illness, but if you have an appointment with a doctor at 3 pm, you should be seen within an hour except in a rare emergency.

I dated a doctor briefly about a year and a half ago. We went out for lunch one day and after we ordered, he looked at his watch and said "Well, I have an appointment with a patient right now"... It was another 45 minutes before we finished lunch and he left for his office. It seemed to me that this was nothing out of the ordinary for him...

Anyway.. what say you all on this topic?

Patient wins lawsuit against doctor who kept him waiting

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 23) 
 8585.2 in reply to 8585.1 
I remember my Mum telling me once or twice about doctors doing this to her. Shame she's too nice to think of sueing!

Be your own hero.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/6/03 10:29 PM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (3 of 23) 
 8585.3 in reply to 8585.2 
I wrote to one doctor years ago who kept me waiting for hours. The doctor reduced my bill.

Then there was one "Women's Health Center" that I used to go to back in Connecticut. It advertised quality treatment and personalized care just for women. Yeah right. I felt like I was part of a herd of cattle there. If you were sick and needed to see a doctor that day, you called them and they called you back with a time to come in for an appointment-- but they would take at least 2 hours, sometimes 4 to call you back. You couldn't pick which doctor you saw, you were assigned to a doctor who had the time to see you.

I put my money where my mouth was in that case-- took my records and found a single doctor with her own office. She was incredible, got to know me personally, and rarely made me wait.

I wish I could find someone like her out here

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

From: Indilwen Mireia Tintilariel (LillaKat)8/7/03 2:51 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 23) 
 8585.4 in reply to 8585.1 
I am glad he won.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 23) 
 8585.5 in reply to 8585.1 
I don't know if I think sueing is the answer, but I think something should be done. I remember being pregnant, and having a 10:30 appointment, and met two other women in the waiting room who had the same time, same doctor. Maybe there were others. And there was the time I went in to get test results, had to get someone to cover my shift at work until I could get there, (so I lost some pay), had to wait quite a while, and then they couldn't find the test results. I went to work then, and they called me there (when I didn't really have the time or privacy to talk). AND they charged me for an office call! Rent for sitting there, I guess. Now I wouldn't pay it. I did then. And then there was Mr. D. One day I was waiting in the office when Mr. D. came in, said he was sick, and wanted to see a doctor. He was told no appointments were available for 2 weeks. Mr. D. banged his fist on the desk, yelled, "#%@*, I could be DEAD in 2 weeks!" He was shown into an exam room. It was entertainment for the rest of the "audience"...

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 8585.6 in reply to 8585.1 
Maybe suing a dr is a way to get the system changed, but there are alot of things that also go into play nowadays, like the HMOs! They just make things even more difficult then they were already.

If you're walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

Check us out at Divinity Sisters

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 23) 
 8585.7 in reply to 8585.1 
If a doctor makes you wait more than 15 minutes past your appointment time and you were on tiem to begin with, then the staff should let you know and leave it up to you whether you say or reschedule. I think it's LUDICROUS to make someone wait so long and in any other profesion, they'd be outta work doing stuff like that to their clients!

I know around here most docs require folks call 24 or more if they need to cancel or change an appt... I think the door should swing both ways in that regard. I also know that many docs around here charge if you cancel within the last 24 hours unless it's an emergency reason.. I also think that should swing both ways. Unless a doc is called away for an emergency an appt should be met within a reasonable amt of time... within 15 minutes IMO. I've learned that some doc double book and even triple book.. to squeeze in as many folks as they can. Sure, some people back out so the book gets lighter but if they don't how the hell can one person see 3 folks at the same time? It's inevitable that they'd fall behind it's also irresponsible though NOT to let the people know that they may be waiting longer than expected and let them CHOOSE how valuable their time is!

To: Chakrachick  (8 of 23) 
 8585.8 in reply to 8585.6 
Thinking about how many things go into a doctor's day--insurance forms, HMOs, etc. made me remember an article I read about 2 years ago. A doctor in Wichita, Ks said he was sick of the insurance stuff, and was only taking patients who paid him, and didn't mess with insurance. He said he thought he was giving better care with no one to tell him how to treat a patient, and he had more time since he didn't have all the paperwork to mess with. Sounded interesting.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/11/03 5:14 PM 
To: Bunny138  (9 of 23) 
 8585.9 in reply to 8585.5 
Whoa.. Good for MrD!

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/11/03 5:15 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (10 of 23) 
 8585.10 in reply to 8585.7 
~~I also think that should swing both ways.~~~

Definately!

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.