Paganism -  online degree training? (150 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 16) 
Has anyone taken part in online degree training? What did you think? I just happened to find a link on amazon.com to the College of the Sacred Mists, and I checked it out. I think part of the address was workingwitch, or something like that. It sounded pretty good, and interesting. Some of the stuff I've found was pretty junky or fluffy or not what I wanted in other ways, and I guess I'm pretty leery of a lot of things. So. Any opinions?

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/12/03 9:56 PM 
To: Bunny138  (2 of 16) 
 8596.2 in reply to 8596.1 
Online courses can be great if you want to see the way other paths operate, what they believe, what their rituals and ceremonies consist of...

Other than that...

Well, I did 4 inititations in all-- and all with "real time" covens. I don't see how any online "initiation" can measure up.

That's just my opinion. As always, your mileage may vary

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 16) 
 8596.3 in reply to 8596.2 
Thanks for your input. I would imagine a "real time" initiation would be a lot different than an online one. Still, it would be an experience, and in this area a lot of things are hard to find. I'll see what I come up with. I do work well on my own--that's something. Thanks again.

To: Bunny138  (4 of 16) 
 8596.4 in reply to 8596.3 
I think Tarty has a log of an online initiation around here somewhere. She can tell you where to find it.

To: Ellen Reed (ELEXXA)  (5 of 16) 
 8596.5 in reply to 8596.4 
Elexxa: Thanks for the info. Tarty, if you have this, could I take a look?

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/13/03 10:29 PM 
To: Ellen Reed (ELEXXA)  (6 of 16) 
 8596.6 in reply to 8596.4 
WHAHAHAHHA!!

I almost forgot about that!

I'll have to find that for Bunny!

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/13/03 10:32 PM 
To: Bunny138  (7 of 16) 
 8596.7 in reply to 8596.5 
Ok Bunny, You asked for it
LOL

I wrote this about two years ago and now it is all over the net. Most sites have given me credit for it. (and I thank them)

Here you go:
http://www.shadow-witch.com/inanna_onlineritual.html

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Hostess of

Hostess of

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 16) 
 8596.8 in reply to 8596.7 
A true classic.

Anyway, my 2.1 cents worth on ODT...online degree training is the equivalent of online virgin deflowering. You can learn something about it, but the experience wouldn't quite be the same. 'Nuff said?

Jeez, I'm getting to be a crotchety old coot. I went to a friend's Ritual the other night, and...and...they switched Elements for North and East (OK, OK, I KNOW, Elexxa, Tarty... but this is someone bragging on being a Gard Third in a supposedly explicitly Wiccan Ritual). Corners were called using three different forms interchangeably ("Guardians," "Elements," and "Lords of the Watchtower"). Some folks used the sixth stroke to 'seal' their pentagrams, some didn't. Some did them according to the proper Elements..some always started at the top. Some started with the left downstroke coming and going. Some stood in Osiris position, some didn't. Some folks (GASP!) turned widdershins in place passing the Chalice. What in the Sacred Name of Sam Hill is this woman teaching? At least get your people to be consistent however you do things!

There's 'however it works for you,' but...I never thought Oscar Wilde applied to Wicca ("A foolish adherence to consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"). THIS is "Online Initiation Ritual" thinking in action. AAAAAUGHHHH!!!!!

And part of me is just in hysterics at myself over being such a stuck-in-the-mud Trad and stickler for propriety (who'd a thunk it?). Oh, heck, why don't we just get High Priestess Fluffy Woo Woo to address the Lord and Lady as Ken and Barbie and get it the hell over with? I guess I need to find me a good old-fashioned Coven that follows the ol' "To Know, to Will, to Dare - to keep Silent," and does everything the way Gerald did...wait, did I really say that?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a Ritual Nazi. But I've seen the future of Wicca, and to me, it ain't pretty. I think some folks need to call what they do "Wicca Lite" or something for truth in advertising purposes. Hey, I've done public Rituals where they called Corners by Chereokee sacred trees and then Named Hindu Deities and it was fine (well, kinda fine...) by me because it wasn't WICCA. Heck, I've done Ritual with Reclaimers and all I had to say was, "That was really interesting." But if you use the "W" word for what you do, I believe that means a certain adherence to consistency in theory and practise.

Dang kids and their new-fangled horseless carriages and flying machines...in my day, we...

..stalks off humming, "Gimme that ol' time religion..."

BB,
BH

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (9 of 16) 
 8596.9 in reply to 8596.8 
LOL great rant. Does that mean I should take the barbie and ken dolls down from my altar as my representations of the God and Goddess? doh! ; ) I had tried using snowglobes instead of candles but it was a pain..I kept having to shake them. Was thinking of maybe some cans of off instead..maybe not. *G* Sheesh ya old fuddy duddy. LOL sorry in a mood
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: MILPOL  (10 of 16) 
 8596.10 in reply to 8596.9 
I'm definitely in a "great rant" groove. I wrote my first ever letter to the editor to the local 'alternative' newspaper, "Creative Loafing." The editor sent me a very complimentary email & put it as the lead commentary in this week's paper.

But I'll be over it once my back starts feeling better. The kid had us climb all the way down and back up Tallulah Gorge (1200 step staircase, a wire bridge over a 190' waterfall, and a crawl over steep wet rock in 90 degree heat and the famous Georgia summer humidity). It was a lot of fun, but I am definitely paying the price right now.

BB,
BH

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.