Living it! -  First week of work ends with a BANG! (144 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/17/03 3:18 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (4 of 19) 
 8687.4 in reply to 8687.3 
I hope your insurance doesn't go up too much either!

I wish there were a law in California against driving while talking on a hand-held cell phone like they do in NY and other states. We do have a law against driving "while distracted" but they don't use it very often. It's mostly used to give out tickets after the fact-- when it's too late and an accident has already occured.

I can't tell you how many times I have almost gotten in an accident that would not have been my fault because some jerk was busy yapping away on a cell phone. And LA highways are NOT the place to be giving your attention to anything except the road.

Sorry to rant.. this is such a major pet peeve with me

Reply   Options 

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (5 of 19) 
 8687.5 in reply to 8687.1 
Glad the week went well but sorry to hear about the accident. Glad that noone was hurt! Is the soreness going away? How'd your car hold up?
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: MILPOL  (6 of 19) 
 8687.6 in reply to 8687.5 
I'm doing OK...missed three hours of work yesterday at the doctor's (X-rays & such). Sore but working on it - ten chiropractic/Vax-D appointments scheduled over the next two weeks. My car may be a total...decision on that tomorrow - it's a '90 Toyota Celica STX, so replacement parts + labor may be as much as the car itself is worth (2 bumper assemblies, headlight ass'ys, hood, trunk & grill plus some extras). I just got it, and I LOVE it! Oh, well...whatever whatever. If they don't offer me enough to pay it off & replace it, it's lawyer time.

Did I mention I work in an office with over a dozen lawyers? I did today to the person at GEICO, ever so tactfully. I said, "You know, no one was seriously hurt and I just want this straightened out as quickly as possible." She says, "Well, lawyers don't get you that much, and they take a third, so a lot of people get less after taking a much longer time to settle, especially if they go to court." I said, "Oh, I know - I work in the Georgia Advocacy Office, and our attorneys try to settle out of court whenever possible." Looong silence on the other end. Sometimes you hit one out of the park...

BB,
BH

P.S. Please send good thoughts, etc. about my car...I really want it back, fixed & working - not totalled.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/18/03 10:14 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (7 of 19) 
 8687.7 in reply to 8687.6 
Damn Blue
:-(

I remember how happy you were to find that car. Sending all the good thoughts and positive energy I can muster.

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9) unread  (8 of 19) 
 8687.8 in reply to 8687.6 
Get any email, lately? ;-) I know how you feel about your car. I felt the same way when my transmission went out in my '79 LeBaron, and my brother made me scrap it, because he didn't want to tow it. :-(

Be your own hero.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 19) 
 8687.9 in reply to 8687.4 
It's totally the same here in Hartford. Well CT really. I've been here about 4 months and I have yet to go on the road and not have a close call. Usually it's someone on a phone but usually it's someone being an a$$. My SO was nearly run off the road going up a hill/mountain (all the hills around here are mountains to this midwest girl) by someone on a cell. Apparently the guy was weaving back and forth between the 2 lanes. Something has to happen soon.

Here's to no one dying from a jerk driving while talking on a mobile!!!!

Cheers

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/19/03 12:11 PM 
To: Rach (Ralac71)  (10 of 19) 
 8687.10 in reply to 8687.9 
Wow-- that is surprising because Connecticut does have a law against talking on a hand-held cell phone. (Or at least I thought they did when I lived there)

Maybe we should start a new thread about this

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (11 of 19) 
 8687.11 in reply to 8687.10 
Not that I know about. It doesn't make much difference because it seems that no one is enforcing it. That seems to be the key. Enforcement.

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (12 of 19) 
 8687.12 in reply to 8687.6 
Their being sent. Hopefully you got to the insurance company a bit. Know how they can be. Make sure you take it a little easier until you're healed up some okay? *G*
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: MILPOL  (13 of 19) 
 8687.13 in reply to 8687.12 
I'm trying...I'm now sore AND exhausted. I have to make up the hours I missed from the accident (I was returning to work from a doctor's app't Friday when I was hit) and initial office visit Monday, plus I have to go for Vax-D/ chiropractic after work. So I am doing 12-hour days on my second full week back to work between them (LOLOL). And I made it! It's a good test (remember, it's all only a test - if this were a real life, it wouldn't suck so bad - *G*).

I still don't have final word on my car. Since the collision center's office manager's son is on the kid's soccer team I help coach (small world, eh?), I'm getting all the inside info, & she's trying to find a way to get my car fixed at a low enough price for it not to be totalled. So keep those positive thoughts coming! And if worse comes to worse, I DO work in an office with a dozen activist lawyers who like me & despise fair payment-avoiding insurance companies of all varieties instinctively. So I am hoping that a way will be found, one way or another - either I get enough to pay off my car & walk away even, or I get my car fixed. Either one works for me, as much as I like "Ash" (my car's name - from its grey color & the 3 letters on its license plate).

Thanks,
BH

Navigate this discussion: 1-3 4-13 14-19
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.