Living it! -  Cell Phone Rant (166 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/19/03 12:45 PM 
To: All  (1 of 23) 
Ok, gonna get this all out of my system in one post..

<rant>
It is my opinion that cell phones are responsible for turning people into rude irresponsible jerks.

You can't walk through a mall, grocery store, down a city street , etc, anymore without hearing some fool discusing private matters openly on a cell phone. Why? Doesn't it embarrass you to know that any person walking by now knows that your best friend is sleeping with your partner? Or that your brother got arrested for the third time? Or that your excema is acting up again?

Then there are those who stand in the middle of a crowd, loudly discussing business for all to hear. Do you have some sick need to make everyone around you, even those who will never ever see you again, and who couldn't care less who you are, think you are someone "important"?

Why do you need to talk on a phone while you are at a check-out counter? Were you always that rude, or do you think that having a cell phone in your hand entitles you to treat others around you as non-persons?

There have been many times when I was in attendance at a meeting or presentation only to have the speaker interrupted by the blaring sounds of Handel's Messiah on the cell phone of some dork who forgot to turn the sound off. If I was the speaker, I would have thrown the dork out.

And those that drive while talking on hand-held cell phones are the worst. How dare you endanger my life and the life of others around you because you are too lazy or impatient to freaking pull over, or get off the highway to talk on your phone! Are you willing to seriously harm yourself or someone else just because you had to call your wife for a list of things to pick up on the way home from work?

Cell phones are much more than a modern convienience. They are a license to be rude, irresponsible, and an all-around jerk.

</rant>

Ok, I'm done
:-)

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 23) 
 8692.2 in reply to 8692.1 
My big beef is in Theatres and Cinemas. People are always telling you to turn it off but there is always someone who thinks they don't need to. And of course they get a call in the middle of the play or movie. I work in theatre and it's even more obnoxious there because the actors can hear it too. There have been cases where actors have made comments about the phone call. Public embarrassment usually works.

I know people who can't not answer their phone. Because of this people think you should be constantly and instantly available. That's why I love caller id. If it's someone I don't want to talk to right then. I don't answer and send it to voicemail.

Technology is how you use it. Don't let it use you.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/19/03 1:37 PM 
To: Rach (Ralac71)  (3 of 23) 
 8692.3 in reply to 8692.2 
Technology is how you use it. Don't let it use you.

I agree. And I think that we need a list of "Cell Phone Etiquette". Not that most people will pay any attention to it anyway...

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 23) 
 8692.4 in reply to 8692.3 
I agree with both statements (both the need for Cell Etiquette and the fact that few would follow it), and take "Internet Etiquette" as my reason. If you look outside of well established communities like this one, you will always find someone harassing someone else in some way, thinking that they're anonymous, or some fool typing in "L337".

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more exstatic people walking around?

Host at:
*Teen Pagans

Chat Moderator at:
*Astarte's Pagan Realm
*Healing Universe
*Gekko Moon

Other cool places I visit
*Canadian Pagans
I AM CANADIAN !
*Deech's House of Reason and Sanity
*Pagan Playground
*Sinnamon's Island

"It is the Essence of Heiho to build an indomitable spirit and an iron will; to believe that you cannot fail in doing anything"
-Miyamoto Musashi

=^^=

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/19/03 4:34 PM 
To: The Mountain Lynx (CidBurns)  (5 of 23) 
 8692.5 in reply to 8692.4 
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more exstatic people walking around?

Hahaha!
Good Question!

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

and

Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

Edited 11/19/2003 4:35:17 PM ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 8692.6 in reply to 8692.1 
Feel better now?

Tis why I keep mine on vibrate. I don't want to be a jerk with it but it's the only number my clients can reach me regardless of where I am but the vibrating is loud enough for me to hear (not anyone else though) but quiet enough that I don't hear it when I drive.

The other day though I coulda slapped the ass in front of me. They were weaving in and out... over the white line, over the yellow.... I kept trying to see what they were doing and if nothing, if they were drunk.... turns out they were trying to read a map.... at 45 mph... *sigh* not a map book either.. no, a FOLDOUT map... I've seen some be asses with cell phones while driving but that mapass was the worst.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/20/03 11:00 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (7 of 23) 
 8692.7 in reply to 8692.6 
A fold-out map?

Lovely...

I won't get a cell phone even though the company would prefer that I do.

I have a voice mail number at the Borders Inc home office in Michigan that anyone can leave a message on any time. I check it three or four times a day. If something is really urgent they can call MY boss

LOL

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

and

Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

Edited 11/20/2003 11:01:55 AM ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 23) 
 8692.8 in reply to 8692.7 
LOL.. I AM the boss. ;)

Plus it's only one number my mom needs to remember if she needs to get me about the kids while I'm working. Otherwise she'd go crazy trying to track me down (I'm in up to 4 offices on any given day). And driving over an hour from home to work, I like having it for emergencies. There are some places you just do NOT go to someone's house to call and there are no payphones to be found.

To: Rach (Ralac71)  (9 of 23) 
 8692.9 in reply to 8692.2 
Greetings...

I totally agree with this!!!

We have been run off the road twice! Lucky we did not get killed!

I have been almost knocked over by someone talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to where they were walking. had bruises after the one encounter. could not get out of the way...and so what if I am only 5'2"...I can still be seen!

And yes...I have seen numerous times where two people will be having a conversation in a restaurant and ring ring there goes the phone...and rather than explain that they will call back....they talk for 30 minutes or so! If that was my date I'd be an idiot to say sure I'll go out with you tomorrow night since our dinner date went no where.

But the one that irritates me the most is when I go out with someone for an evening..i.e. bookstore and/or coffee and 5 minutes after we get there ring ring...where is my coat-where are my shoes-can I go to my friends house when you get back...if I was their mother I would ground their a$$es for a week after pulling that bone headed stunt!

AND after these nitwits get brain cancer WE are going to pick up the tab for the medical! If they wear the cell phone in the groin area may cause tumors/cysts/cancer/or even sterilize them...hey there is food for thought.

Thanks for getting me started Tarty!!!! :P lol

Blessings
lj

Edited 11/20/2003 8:44:58 PM ET by ljrose

To: Rach (Ralac71)  (10 of 23) 
 8692.10 in reply to 8692.2 
"Technology is how you use it. Don't let it use you."

exactly. i have a cell and it's buried somewhere deep within my purse, turned off. i charge it once or twice a month and buy time every two months. i don't even turn it on unless it's an emergency or unless i'm expecting an important call and know that my landline may be tied up at the time (and have given the number out for that reason alone).

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.