Animals in our lives -  Wasn't this one cause of The Plague?  (66 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 
China Orders Some 10,000 Cats Killed
Tests Suggest a Link Between the Animals and SARS Sickness
By JOE McDONALD, AP

BEIJING (Jan. 4) - China on Monday ordered some 10,000 civet cats in wildlife markets killed in its southern province of Guangdong after genetic tests suggested a link to a suspected SARS case.

Also Monday, authorities denied reports that a second suspected case of severe acute respiratory syndrome had been found in Guangdong.

All of Guangdong's wildlife markets were ordered to close, Feng Liuxiang, deputy director of the province's health department, said on national television.

Civets are considered a delicacy in Guangdong and are served in wild game restaurants.

The announcement came after researchers at Hong Kong University said they found similarities between a virus found in the cats and in a suspected SARS patient in Guangdong, suggesting the disease might have jumped from animals.

"We will take resolute measures to close all the wildlife markets in Guangdong and to kill the civet cats,'' Feng said on the national noon newscast of China Central Television.

CCTV said there were believed to be about 10,000 civet cats on sale in Guangdong wildlife markets.

Civets were cited by scientists as a possible source of SARS, which is believed to have begun in Guangdong. The disease killed 349 people on China's mainland and 774 worldwide before subsiding in June.

China banned trade in civets and 53 other wild animals last April amid sweeping efforts to stop the spread of SARS. That prohibition was lifted in August despite warnings by scientists that the animals might still be a health threat.

The new ban was announced as Chinese and international experts were trying to confirm whether a 32-year-old television producer identified as a possible SARS case has the virus. They say that after three weeks of inconclusive tests, they expect to announce a decision this week.

Wang said the patient was recovering.

Also Monday, Chinese health officials denied reports by Hong Kong newspapers that a waitress at a wild game restaurant in Guangzhou, the Guangdong provincial capital, was a suspected SARS case.

"We do have a fever patient due to pneumonia, but this has no direct connection with any suspected SARS case,'' the official Xinhua News Agency quoted Wang Ming, deputy director of the Guangzhou municipal disease prevention and control center, as saying.

"We have taken necessary medical measures towards the patient with a fever,'' Wang was quoted as saying. "Our diseases prevention and control centers are examining and closely monitoring the situation.''

L o v e ,   L i g h t ,   a n d   L a u g h t e r   !

I'm not a bad witch...
 I'm a grumpy witch!

(mumble, mumble)
*POOF*

Aldyth's feels: The current mood of Lady_Aldyth@yahoo.com at www.imood.com

This universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * If you talk to the animals they will talk with you, and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears, one destroys. - Chief Dan George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Latest News... I am suffering from Non-linear waterfowl issues! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad

Reply   Options 

To: Leanan_Sidhe (ALDYTH2)  (2 of 5) 
 8765.2 in reply to 8765.1 
OK, granted that they were planning on eating the poor things, but still!

Why not just take them off the menu?

:::shakes head sadly and in disbelief:::

To: Leanan_Sidhe (ALDYTH2)  (3 of 5) 
 8765.3 in reply to 8765.2 
I really think Chinese will eat anything...part of the problem with so many endangered animals is that seems if there aren't many around, a body part must have a great medicinal or whatever value.
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

From: Fleur D'Orage (fleurdemorte) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/04 8:05 PM 
To: MILPOL  (4 of 5) 
 8765.4 in reply to 8765.3 

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Remember the Hanta virus?  (spread by inhaling infected rodent urine vapors)

It couldn't possibly be that the probably horrendous, filthy, and inhumane conditions the civet cats were most likely kept in had a blinkin' thing to do with it.....

Why does most of the weird, really hideous diseases originate in Asia?

Over crowding....whether it's cats or peeps, none of us should be surprised at crap that kills you quick.

Fleas on rats, SARS on 'cats.....I do not like that, Sam I am. LOL.

To: Fleur D'Orage (fleurdemorte) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 8765.5 in reply to 8765.4 
LOL it's no surprise that places like that are breeding grounds for new or previously "unknown" diseases.
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.