Think About This! -  The Bible as a text book in public sc... (170 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (12 of 21) 
 8770.12 in reply to 8770.1 

I have a qualifying question about this poll. By public school do you mean high school or university? My favorite english lit prof taught King James as Literature. It was and I hear still is a very popular class. If you weren't a major or minor it was extremely difficult to get into the class. Frankly, I'd had other classes with that prof and I think she was pretty much in the broom closet. She had another class of similar popularity that was called something like "Angles, Saxons and Magicians" which was all about Celtic history and lit.

Why the King James Bible? It's the only one with literary merit. Thought was put into the how the stories were told. After 13 years of catholic school the only thing I really retain about the bible are 1) the commandments, 2) beatitudes -- the meek shall inhereit the earth (uh... yeah...) 3) It's a bunch of great stories that are told badly. All kinds of adventure of the physical and mystical and it still couldn't hold my interest.

I have to admit though that this english lit prof could make a campbell soup label interesting.

:)

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (13 of 21) 
 8770.13 in reply to 8770.2 

Ok, I should have read on...

I don't think it's appropriate for children where the impetus is to convert. For adults or semi-adults in a university situation I think it is appropriate because debate will be allowed . there Are too many teacher on a elementary or high school level that do not brook no debate or opinions that differ from the teachers. I'd gotten in trouble for that a few times.

To: David (devoid1948) Poll  (14 of 21) 
 8770.14 in reply to 8770.11 

Yes... but teaching a class on the Kama Sutra is more than a bit misleading. Most people don't understand that it is more than a sex manual. Hmmm a manual on how to be an adult in a marriage just wouldn't fly. but if you put your ankle behind your ear it might be a better marriage..... just kididing...;)

To: Rach (Ralac71) Poll  (15 of 21) 
 8770.15 in reply to 8770.14 
The Kama Sutra is more than a sex manual, but - like the Bible - it could be taught under several different disciplines, ranging from religion to literature to psychology. I think a study of the Kama Sutra would be an interesting course in almost any context.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/7/05 12:42 AM 
To: Rach (Ralac71) Poll  (16 of 21) 
 8770.16 in reply to 8770.12 

It sounds like a wonderful class and great professor. (I had a few like him, but not nearly enough)

Gonna read your next post before I say more

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/7/05 12:43 AM 
To: Rach (Ralac71) Poll  (17 of 21) 
 8770.17 in reply to 8770.13 
And I am in agreement with you on those points

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/7/05 12:46 AM 
To: David (devoid1948) Poll  (18 of 21) 
 8770.18 in reply to 8770.15 
And I'll bet the class would fill up pretty quickly too...

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (19 of 21) 
 8770.19 in reply to 8770.18 
I thinque you would have a waiting list for seats in that class! Like I said, the homework would be interesting, as would the final.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (20 of 21) 
 8770.20 in reply to 8770.18 

Being one county over from the dreaded dwelling of troglodytes of Cobb County (the home of the "Evolution Warning" sticker)...I believe that it's OK to use the KJV as a textbook in public schools. However, it should have a sticker attached saying, "The Bible is just a theory. It is not a fact. It is one of many theories about how the world was created, and should be considered carefully, along with other such theories."

There! Perfect justice!

BB,
BH

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/30/05 11:55 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9) Poll  (21 of 21) 
 8770.21 in reply to 8770.20 

Perfect indeed!

I heard about those stickers in the news. I must say, it was a good try, but glad it was caught and "fixed".

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1 2-11 12-21
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.