Links -  Spiral Rhythm Now on the 'Vox! (97 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 9) 
"I Am the Goddess" from the new Spiral Rhythm CD "Roll of Thunder" has been chosen as one of the four songs to debut on the newly restored "Bardic Circle" at Witchvox (http://witchvox.com, bottom of the front page). Go see what the fuss is about! It's already up to # 28/New Age at MP3.com/Australia in just two days, as well (http://www.mp3.com/au , search for Spiral Rhythm).

Two of our Skyypilot songs are there, too..."Circle, Circle" and "Nightwalker."

Reply   Options 

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 9) 
 8781.2 in reply to 8781.1 
Oh, and we're starting recording for our next CD with the new and improved Skyypilot this Saturday. First track - a kick ass cover of "Venus" by Shocking Blue (for you young people, the song on the womens' razor commercial - "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire, it's your desire!"). I've been wanting to do a version of that song for years, but everyone I suggested it to thought I was crazy (well, point taken...). But now that I finally got someone to actually try and DO it, it works like a charm (pun intended).

We're already planning on sending that in to the 'Vox as soon as it's finished to start some buzz for the new CD. It's going to be fun... It got a great response at our last gig when we unveiled it (no, wait, that's Isis Who's unveiled...oh, never mind). At least I've got something fun to keep my mind off the truck.

More later,
BH

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (3 of 9) 
 8781.3 in reply to 8781.1 
Congrats! For some reason the sound isn't working on my comp; I'll have to remember to check it out when I have access to my husband's.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (4 of 9) 
 8781.4 in reply to 8781.3 
Well, it's now up to #2 on New Age, and #4 on "Other" there. Mark's now posted "Om Jam (3)" from the CD there as well, which I think will cross over to non-Pagan New Age audiences better. Wish us luck - and go download! We want to be #1!

BB,
BH

P.S. Or...go to http://www.spiralrhythm.net or http://www.musiphysicalproductions.com and buy the CD (LOL). If you're Pagan, you'll love it, and probably use something off it at your next Ritual - I promise.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/3/04 12:30 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (5 of 9) 
 8781.5 in reply to 8781.4 
Whoooooo Hoooooo!!!

Congratulations!

From: JCP (SumerianWolf) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/15/04 11:11 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (6 of 9) 
 8781.6 in reply to 8781.5 

That was nice. Most of the music I have heard on the bardic circle there at witchvox quite simply is just plain goofy sounding. That song you have the free link to "I am the Goddess" was nice and relaxing, powerful in a less is more way. I was delighted. The words seemed rather reminscient of hymns written to Inanna in ancient Sumeria.

"The almighty goddess Inanna, the heavens are her crown, the earth lies below her feet"

Thank you for actually being one of the few to put something GOOD on there.

---------------Sumer--------------

To: JCP (SumerianWolf) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 9) 
 8781.7 in reply to 8781.6 
Well, right now I'm about over doing Pagan music. It's nothing but an expensive hobby with little reward or appreciation involved. I just had someone tell me last week how much they loved the "Spiral Rhythm" CD, then went on to tell me all about how they had had a friend burn them a copy, and all her friends had burned copies...and all I could do was smile and say, "I'm soooo glad you like our music." Because I have learned that talking to people about copyrights, the cost of recording and pressing music, etc. is a waste of time. The Pagan culture seems to generally accept that music should be free both live and on record.

So I'm about over beating my head against a wall. I've just had an offer to put a band together with some old friends that are exceptionally good musicians (three out of four of us have national act credits) and go play classic rock for real money. Hmmmm...pay my own travel expenses to drive hundreds of miles to play for free at a festival and sell a few CD's to pay off our debt from recording (with many of those then being copied for friends) - or get paid real money to play in town with professional musicians that show up to rehearse, don't turn every decision into a psychodrama, actually invest money in their equipment, and play at a high level of competence. What a difficult choice.

That you get what you pay for is a basic law of the universe. The Pagan community does not seem to appreciate or be wiling to pay its musicians for the energy they invest in their work. So a brilliant Pagan artist like Gypsy does "Enchantress" (any Pagan reading this, go buy the CD NOW because it is great), but doesn't follow it up because she's in debt for years afterwards. Our production company's over $5000 in debt after 2 CD's and a series of concerts. The first "Spiral Rhythm" CD (not produced by us) is still $600 in the hole three years later. It's our fault for putting our hearts ahead of our heads, and I don't blame the Pagan community - if they don't want to pay for music, they simply don't want to pay and that's the way it is. Or else we simply aren't good enough, and again that's our fault and not theirs.

Then again, in the last two weeks I've been asked to play jazz at a charity fundraiser by the former harpist of the Grammy-winning Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, and play rock with former members of Mother's Finest and other groups. So if my music isn't good enough for the Pagan community to pay for, hey, I'll just go do something else where it is.

And I am sure that I am not the first person to make that decision in the Pagan music community, nor will I be the last. We're in pre-production doing demos for the next "Skyypilot" CD, and I can't stop thinking that we're about to spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to do something that people are just going to turn around and thank me for after burning a CD for free. There's a version of Shocking Blue's "Venus" (the razor commercial song) that people would love. There's several original songs by several band members that I think are really good.

However, I know that people in the Pagan community will love it, download it or burn a friend's CD for free, and that's all. Then they'll want to go see us perform at a festival where we won't get paid to perform (wow, we get in for FREE!) No problem. That's just the way it is, and I accept that I cannot change it. I'm just going to do something where I may get fewer warm fuzzies, but I will get paid.

BB,
BH

From: JCP (SumerianWolf) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/16/04 11:32 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (8 of 9) 
 8781.8 in reply to 8781.7 

There are several ways I sympathize with you. I spent my teen years playing in garage punk and metal bands playing drums and learning how to play from scratch with no prior experience or instruction. Try learning how to do blast beats all on your own....very hard to do I might add. People NEVER give credit where credit is due as far as hard metal bands go.  I also spent a majority of that time getting laughed at when I said I wanted to be a professional musician. Well, here I am. A jarhead looking at spending xmas in Iraq most likely and not having played my drums in years. ....my drums, hell I don't even have drums anymore. My mom sold 'em coz I told her I needed the money.

Being a musician for pay is not easy and always involves either years of struggling for a record deal or conforming and giving some fat executive producer whatever he wants. Burning CD's has been something I have avoided ever since it came out. I do download music, yes. Just enough to know I like the band or not. Then I go and buy the CD. I have always prided myself on having this multi-volume monster of a collection that I can reference anytime I want lyrics or band pics. I never understood the lack of soul one must have to brag about how many CD's they have and then whip out this huge book of endless silver pieces of metal and plastic with permanent marker titles scribbled on them. I would buy that CD of yours.

When you make the decision to be a musician and make a living off of it you are saying you will accept the struggle that comes with it and nothing is guaranteed EVER. There are many people just like me out there who download a song or two and if we like it, we buy the CD. It does happen. Easy CD burning and such has helped this generation of Americans slide further into that spirit of "I don't WANNA work for it, I want it NOW!" Trust me when I say we aren't all like that.

I still maintain that most "pagan" music I have heard has sucked royally. Not because of production quality or other budget issues. Quite simply, there aretoo many people on this celtic kick and thinking that means your music has to be goofy, high tuned and sesame street sounding junk. There was a song called spiral rythms before that I downloaded (you probably know who I am talking about, I can't remember who she was but it was a solo musician) that was just HORRIBLE and was praised by the pagan music community. Somewhere along the line, someone must have shot out a memo saying all "pagan" music had to suck ass and sound like either a cheap Marilyn Manson rip off (He sucks regardless) or mister rogers on prozac with a ukelele (sp?).

You my friend are simply in that same hole so many other musicians end up in, struggling to make a name for yourself and your band and getting nowhere because music has turned into download mania instead of a buying frenzy.

.............there, we both ranted. In closing, 95% of self proclaimd "pagan" music sounds fit for nothing but elementary school, and you have a talent and need to just keep a day job, bust your ass on weekends and holidays to get free songs out as teasers, and book whatever small venues you can in and around Atlanta, Athens, and Buckhead and do whatever you can to keep your personal production costs down. That way you have more left over after you take in what little you will make at this point in shows. Burn your OWN CD's and have T-shirts and stickers made so you can tempt people at shows and festivals or whatever and play on their impulse buying instincts.

...........and I have never in 12 years of being pagan been to one festival. Too intimidating and more than likely these days it will be filled with lots of druggie losers and John Lennon fans (sorry, I worship a Goddess of war) or the typical comic book fan turned self styled Pagan coz they like Dungeons and Dragons so much they decided to make it their religion. You're fed up with the Pagan music fans, I'm fed up with Pagans in general. Can't we just be Pagan because we feel it in our heart? Why does being Pagan have to mean either being an angst filled teenage drop out (thought that was what punk and raves were for) loaded on acid and pot or a fat, glasses wearing Anime fan? (no offense, I wear glasses while reading or driving and I used to be overweight....and I used to be on drugs and hate the establishment......and I used to read comic books....when I was a KID)

Be well.

--------------------Sumer-----------------

To: JCP (SumerianWolf) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 8781.9 in reply to 8781.8 
Hmmm...Rant-a-Rama! Good psychodrama, dude (*G*)!

I quit the musuc biz in '89 after yet another band collapsed while showcasing for labels. As a hired gun bassist & engineer, I worked for some heavy industry names before then, but never got to do my own thing with my own group commercially (aside from some fusion jazz that got on Jazz Flavours when they still played indie artists & had not descended into just another major-label promo tool. Oh, and some college airplay - I still cherish Iggy Pop telling my guitar player our version of "Neighborhood Threat" was his all-time fave cover of one of his songs. Of course, he was so fucked up he might have thought WE were David Bowie...anyway, I hope the dude is scoring big bucks off the Carnival Cruise line commercial!).

Where were we...oh, yeah. I agree, burning CD's is just a symptom of our society. I also burn a song or two, listen, and buy the CD if I like it. I burned a full copy of Gypsy's "Enchantress" from a friend's cassette because I couldn't find it anywhere - but when it came out on CD, I bought three copies & gave two away as gifts.

For Skyypilot, we had considered posting "Venus" on Witchvox, but NOT putting it on the CD...using it as a promo. But then, how would folks that loved it feel about buying a CD and it not being there? I just don't know. I'm going to have a long talk with the band at rehearsal before making a final decision tomorrow. We just had a violinist/keyboardist audition with the guitarist Saturday & he likes her playing a lot - what we've been looking for for months. But then, the percussionist is not showing up for practise & do we fire him, or what? I hate having all the crazy band shit & no money to show for it.

Oh, well, more on this and other stories later...

BB,
BH

P.S. - I'ver never really played metal except jamming - but some of it is awsome stuff, and takes extreme chops. Metallica is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Edited 2/16/2004 7:27:53 PM ET by Bluehawk (BLUEHAWK9)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.