Living it! -  Food for LARP events (250 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)2/13/04 4:09 AM 
To: All  (1 of 35) 
hey guys I am an avid Live Action Roleplayer, and soon I shall be going on my next roleplay event.

Whilst I am away on these events one big thing is eating. Usually we are too busy fighting back the hordes to cook ourselves any decent food, this means ready made pies and stuff is usually the order of the day (and they are bloody awful).

What I am looking for is nourishing and energy giving recipies that I can use where the following is a priority:

The food has to keep for 3 days
The food has to provide a veriety
The food needs to be easy to digest
The food need to be able to be eaten cold
The food needs to be tasty
Nothing can be stored in plastic or clingfilm
the food has to be cheap

Now I have some Ideas, I have the recipe for Honeydough (havent tried it yet). Anybody have any other ideas? I know tarty is an avid cook...

Honey Bread recipe (havent tried it yet):

1 envelope active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups lukewarm water (105°F)
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, heated to lukewarm (105°F)
7-1/2 to 8 cups bread flour
Grease a large bowl; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water with sugar; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir butter, honey, and salt into buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture and 3 cups flour to dissolved yeast; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a well floured board; knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in prepared bowl; grease top lightly. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Spray 2 9x5-inch loaf pans with non-stick vegetable spray.
Punch dough down; knead briefly. Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in prepared loaf pans; grease tops lightly. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/17/04 4:06 PM 
To: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)  (2 of 35) 
 8821.2 in reply to 8821.1 
That sounds wonderful!

Joe and I go to a lot of SCA events and we have to bring food that can last several days, and sometimes sit out for hours on the banquet table under the Barony pavillion. I'll try and get together some recipes from the things that we and others bring.

Give me a day or two and I will see what I can come up with

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)2/19/04 8:53 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 35) 
 8821.3 in reply to 8821.2 
sounds excellent hun

I am always looking for such tips!

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/19/04 2:55 PM 
To: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)  (4 of 35) 
 8821.4 in reply to 8821.3 
Ok! Here are some easy recipes for foods with good "staying power". They are all links to my recipe forum

Marinated Cherry Tomatoes

Potato Pancakes

Irish Castle Scones
I like these with dried cranberries instead of currants

Empanadas
YUMMMMMM

Hummus!
So easy to make and a great pot luck dish

Joe often makes Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves) for SCA events. I don't have a recipe right now but I am sure you can find one on line pretty easily. They're a fairly easy finger food and can stay out for a long time.
You can also bring things like jerky and trail mix. I make my own trail mix-- adding different kinds of nuts, dried fruits, and sometimes chocolate chips and m&ms.

And don't forget the deserts!

Lemon Pound Cake
Pound cake lasts a long time. This one was posted by David (Devoid) and it is absolutely fantastic

No Bake Chocolate Cookies
Easy to make and delicious too

Ginger Snaps
These taste nothing like store bought ginger snaps. I add tiny pieces of chopped ginger and they are out of this world

Edited 2/19/2004 3:14:46 PM ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 35) 
 8821.5 in reply to 8821.4 
Ugh! I'd like to strangle the idiot who thought that chocolate would be a good thing to put in trail mix! Is nothing sacred? ;-)

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (6 of 35) 
 8821.6 in reply to 8821.5 
strangle the idiot that thought chocolate would be a good thing to make! AAAAAHHHH!!!

Now mayo on the other hand...that stuff is YYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMYYYYY! LOL

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/20/04 1:36 AM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (7 of 35) 
 8821.7 in reply to 8821.5 
AHEM

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/20/04 1:39 AM 
To: MILPOL  (8 of 35) 
 8821.8 in reply to 8821.6 
You are one sick man.......

To: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)  (9 of 35) 
 8821.9 in reply to 8821.1 
Are you any good at making bagels, muffins, or scones? They don't need refrigeration, and I'm sure you can find shelf stable spreads for them. That, coupled with cofee should keep ya going.

To: MILPOL  (10 of 35) 
 8821.10 in reply to 8821.6 
Chocolate is okay, in moderation, but there are just some places that chocolate does NOT belong. Trail mix is one of them.

Be your own hero.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-35
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.