Herbs and other growing things -  Spring is coming! (216 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 21) 
I can feel it in my frigid (and aching) CT bones. ;)

I'm here looking for advice on growing herbs in urban areas with no yard and indifferent sunlight due to the buildings. I've had poor luck in the past and I really want to make a go of it this year. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rachel

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/17/04 4:14 PM 
To: Rach (Ralac71)  (2 of 21) 
 8823.2 in reply to 8823.1 

When I was in CT I had a HUGE herb garden. There is so much you can grow when you have the benefit of winter-- many plants need to freeze and then come back in the spring. I couldn't grow rosemary out there though-- but here in LA I have a huge container of it on the porch and I never remember to water it. Still, it is big and beautiful and growing like a weed. (Ok, out here it is a weed)

For container herbs in CT, I would try l starting with lemon balm and scented geraniums. Both of those will do ok in filtered light. You might also try smaller herbs like oregano and parsley if you have a window to stick them in. Aloe will also grow nicely almost anywhere and you don't have to water it very often.

I'm sure others like Saffire will have suggestions for plants to grow in those colder places

:-)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 21) 
 8823.3 in reply to 8823.2 
Any suggestions for herbs that would grow in Texas (Houston area)?

Sinnamons Island

~May the Blessings of Brigid
be with you always~
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/18/04 1:25 AM 
To: LADYLYNNA DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 21) 
 8823.4 in reply to 8823.3 
You're in a climate very similar to me-- you just have more humidity.

Rosemary, euphorbia, sage, aloe, and mints would probably do great there, as well as all the "table" herbs.

I really miss being able to grow beebalm (monarda). I had a huge plot of it that attracted hummingbirds-- but it needs a winter with a frost.

To: Rach (Ralac71)  (5 of 21) 
 8823.5 in reply to 8823.1 
container gardening is the way to go...

Last year I had good luck with catnip... my cats loved me for it. I tried lavender with no success.. not a sprout emerged... so was either a temp thing or light thing or something.

Anyway, for both I got potting soil, fresh seeds, containers... potted the seeds, watered and then covered with plastic wrap (clear)... that acts as a greenhouse and gets them sprouting good.. keeps the water close to the soil and keeps them from drying out. After you see green, you can let loose the plastic (dispose of properly of course) and then water to specifications... I found with the catnip that the more I pinched the greens then, the bushier and fuller it came in. And the cats LOVED the fresh stuff... everywhere I pinched a sprig, there'd be way more sprouting out.

The major benefit to containers is you can move them to different locations.. see how the plants respond. If you've got a southern windowed exposure you can grow mostly anything... north windows I'd suggest plants that go for indirect sunlight or shade... try just one or two this year and see how it goes.. keep notes and build on what you discover.

One year, I had an entire veggie garden all in containers. They require bigger containers.. but I had tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers and zucchini... now that place didn't have a yard but did have a patio and they apparently got enough sun to give me veggies.. with the help of Miracle-Gro... containered plants sometimes need help as they don't get the same benefits of soil life as ground dirt...

Good luck!

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 21) 
 8823.6 in reply to 8823.4 

Thanks for the info!  I will make a shopping list.

Sinnamons Island

~May the Blessings of Brigid
be with you always~
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (7 of 21) 
 8823.7 in reply to 8823.5 
Thanks,

I want spring to arrive sooooo bad I broke down and got some crocus and hyacinth bulbs. *sigh* I'm tired of winter

:)

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)2/20/04 7:02 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 21) 
 8823.8 in reply to 8823.2 
ahhh my herb lore wise lady..

what about Britain in our climate? what would you recommend here..

To: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)  (9 of 21) 
 8823.9 in reply to 8823.8 

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)2/20/04 8:45 AM 
To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (10 of 21) 
 8823.10 in reply to 8823.9 
Damn you!!!

*runs after Time with sword*

Cmere! you where meant to stay in the sweat shop!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.