Living it! -  'Reverend' Bluehawk (47 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 
My dear friends:

I was encouraged to apply to the Lay Ministry program at my UU church, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta, by the associate minister there today. I would be the first openly Pagan lay (or otherwise) UU minister in Atlanta, if chosen. Ironically, since I deliberately chose not to pursue my Third (for various reasons), I would be ordained as a 'Pagan' minister first in a non-Pagan faith (let's not quibble about what the UU faith is - or isn't. I do like the joke about how the Klan burned a question mark in the front yard of the UU family that moved into the neighborhood, though).

I am almost speechless. This church is one of the leading UU churches in the country. Whitney Young (head of the NAACP in the 60's) served here in the same position while helping lead the civil rights movement. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke from the pulpit here. The first free public library in the Deep South originated with this church, and the tradesman's school started here in the 1880's evolved into the Georgia Institute of Technology. It was the first integrated church of any kind in the Deep South, and the first UU church south of Virginia. Until fairly recently, it had the largest membership of any UU church in the entire country.

I mean...DAMN! There's lots of Pagan UU ministers out there & even some Pagan-oriented UU congregations as a whole - but this is the big time. I'd lead 800 people or more in worship on Sunday mornings. So everybody wish me luck. I'm not even sure I'll accept if I'm offered it. It's scary to think about. I'd have to start acting respectable!

So you're worried about a simple handfasting, Tarty? Look what you started! It's all your fault!!!

BB,
BH

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/14/04 1:11 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 5) 
 8930.2 in reply to 8930.1 
I'd say go for it! Atlanta needs you!

I facilitated a lot of services in my old UU Church back in CT. The Samhain service I put on three years in a row was always a hit.

I really need to get back to the UU Church out here. One of my favorite ministers back in CT is now running a church about 40 miles south of me. It sucks that I always have to work on Sundays...

Hey, did you hear about the first UU miracle???

Yep, someone saw the face of Ralph Waldo Emerson in a tortilla!

heh heh

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (3 of 5) 
 8930.3 in reply to 8930.1 
Wow... congrats! That is quite an honor! Course I'm impressed with the congregation size too (the congregation at my UU is about 60 to 70)... that's a lot of folks. It's exciting though.. you must be making a good impression on them... ;)

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (4 of 5) 
 8930.4 in reply to 8930.3 
No, actually I threatened to turn them all into frogs if they didn't do it...

LOLOL!!!!

BB,
BH

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (5 of 5) 
 8930.5 in reply to 8930.4 
Hehehe.. so when you're an official minister you can get a parking sign for your spot that says "Minister parking - all others will be toad"... ;)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.