Think About This! -  Amazing survival (59 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/14/04 5:47 AM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 
It is incredible that this child survived.

Girl, 5, Found in Ravine Near Dead Mother More Than a Week After Calif. Crash

By Bruce Haring Associated Press Writer Published: Apr 14, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A 5-year-old girl found in a ravine survived on dry noodles and Gatorade while remaining near her dead mother following a car crash more than a week ago, relatives and authorities said.

The girl, apparently uninjured, was identified as Ruby Bustamante, the daughter of Norma Bustamante, 26, of Indio, said Jane Evans, nursing supervisor at Riverside Regional Medical Center. They were reported missing April 4.

California Department of Transportation workers repairing a road barrier Tuesday morning found the girl, her mother's body and a wrecked Ford Taurus 150 feet down a ravine off the 60 Freeway between Moreno Valley and the Banning Pass, said Chris Blondon, spokesman for the California Highway Patrol.

The car had crashed about 10 days ago, and the girl was hungry and thirsty but unhurt, Blondon said in a statement.

Relatives gathered at the hospital late Tuesday where Evans said Ruby was in stable condition.

Bill Cooney, the girl's great-grandfather, told local TV networks that Ruby told him she survived on ramen noodles and Gatorade. Ruby also said her mother was alive for "a couple days" after the crash, he said.

The whole story

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 8932.2 in reply to 8932.1 
I heard about this this morning.. made me cry what that little girl's gone through! They said on the news that she's expected to make a full recovery... I just thought "no.. no, she won't ever fully recover from losing her mother, watching her die.. "... man, I couldn't.. I wouldn't want to imagine it... breaks my heart, what she's been through... *sigh*

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/14/04 2:44 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (3 of 6) 
 8932.3 in reply to 8932.2 
My thoughts exactly
:-(

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)4/23/04 3:56 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 8932.4 in reply to 8932.3 
I think youll find that it may be the opposite.

The human psyche is a strange thing, a human will do everything in its power to remain alive, however under certain situations the brain will make the decision that its not going to survive, once that happens it goes through a logical process of events to ensure the further survival of the species, or to ensure that unharmed organisms have a greater chance of survival.

In the case of the young girl and her mother you will probably find that other than possibly the odd nightmare and a bit of tears at first she will have already accepted it. If the woman was alive the first 2 - 3 days she would have used that ensure that her 5 year old daughter was fully aware of the situation and well prepared for a few days of survival both mentally and physically, also preparing her daughter for the inevitable.

Children are a lot tougher and durable as well as amazingly adaptable than many think. in situations like that instinct will take over, the need for food, water and warmth will take over. It amazes me that children learn to walk, communicate and interact with their surroundings in 2 years, many older people take 2 - 3 years to learn a new language.

Thats why when my children are very young I shall have them learning German, French, Afrikkans and any other language of friends I have. That way when they grow up although they wont be fluent they will be able to communicate in other countries.

also I will teach them reading, writing, using a PC and any other skill from a very young age. twill allow them to have an easier life later

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 8932.5 in reply to 8932.1 
It is amazing how someone so young can be so much stronger and braver than an adult. The human spirit is an amazing thing and my heart goes out to this girl. If she can survive this and watching her mom die, dhe can survive anything.

To: All  (6 of 6) 
 8932.6 in reply to 8932.1 
It happened again...

Wisconsin Toddler Found Alive 30 Hours After Car Crash Killed Father

By Robert W. Black Associated Press Writer
Published: Apr 28, 2004

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - An 18-month-old girl survived a near-freezing night beside her father's dead body after their car cartwheeled off a road and into a creek.

Raylynn Miller was found alive Monday by a police officer who was out jogging and came across the crash site about a mile west of Thermopolis in northwest Wyoming.

"She was quiet, just sitting there," said Sgt. Mark Nelson, who found Raylynn at 5:40 p.m.

Raylynn remained hospitalized Tuesday for dehydration and possible broken bones. The girl survived 30 hours in the open and temperatures that dropped into the low 30s overnight.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGALMZ84LTD.html

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.