Think About This! -  Have you lowered your carb intake? (308 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (17 of 49) 
 8937.17 in reply to 8937.14 
I see your point of view, and then counter it with a slice of cheese pizza and a beer. lol

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/5/04 2:06 AM 
To: FireCobra Poll  (18 of 49) 
 8937.18 in reply to 8937.17 
LOL

Ok then

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (19 of 49) 
 8937.19 in reply to 8937.1 
Oooh I am so against these low carb diets...

Ok, the Atkins may be effective but once you stop it your weight will pile straight back on, it's not a healthy weight loss programme. Atkins himself was died of obesity related causes (or so I heard). My mother was on it and raved over it until she visited the Doctor who was most vocal on the subject of her high cholesterol.

Personally I believe that the best and safest way to lose weight is the slowest. Everything in moderation and plenty of exercise. One shouldn't deny oneself anything entirely or the cravings will be the downfall of your good intentions.

Just my ten cents (the first two cents are free).

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/5/04 11:13 AM 
To: Stoneheart (RustyK3) Poll  (20 of 49) 
 8937.20 in reply to 8937.19 
I was talking to a nutritionist in the store yesterday who told me that she cringes when she hears someone is on the Atkins diet. According to her, it was designed as a last resort for people who were so morbidly obese that they were going to die if they didn't lose weight. Well, word caught on that you could lose dramatic amounts of weight in record time on the diet and the rest is history.

But they are now finding that people who eat no carbs and lots of fat see a very dangerous rise in cholesterol levels.

I've been on the South Beach diet which is quite different from Atkins. It's not non-carb, it's low carb in the beginning, and you are warned about the bad fats. It's also something that you do for a few weeks, or a month, and then learn to eat healthier as a lifestyle

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (21 of 49) 
 8937.21 in reply to 8937.8 

Is there a list of the "good" carbs?   I am so confused but really need to take off about 40 pounds.

Sinnamons Island

~May the Blessings of Brigid
be with you always~
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (22 of 49) 
 8937.22 in reply to 8937.20 
Hmm, that sounds slightly safer. Might be the one my dad read about (he couldn't remember the name). Personally I am inclined to ignore pretty much any diet in favour of muddling along with exercise and plenty of greens.

To: LADYLYNNA DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (23 of 49) 
 8937.23 in reply to 8937.21 
<sigh> Why do women insist they have to lose weight when they are perfectly cuddly and lovable the way they are? ;-p

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt) Poll  (24 of 49) 
 8937.24 in reply to 8937.23 

Aw go on with you!  I mean it!  Go on..............

That is so sweet :)

Sinnamons Island

~May the Blessings of Brigid
be with you always~
Spirit Online: Spiritual Community & Information Network

To: LADYLYNNA DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (25 of 49) 
 8937.25 in reply to 8937.24 
Well, it's true.

Be your own hero.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/6/04 1:51 AM 
To: LADYLYNNA DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (26 of 49) 
 8937.26 in reply to 8937.21 
Well, I am not an expert, but I have learned a lot from the South Beach Diet book.

Some foods have less carbs than others, and they also contain fiber which is good for you.

For example, plain old white bread contains a lot of carbs, and because of the way it is processed, very little fiber. It also has a very high glycemic count. Eating a slice of white bread is like putting a tablespoon or two of sugar in your mouth.

Whole grain bread, on the other hand, does contain carbs, but it also contains a lot of fiber, and therefore is much better for you.

Another example is oranges. Oranges contain carbs but some ways of eating them are better than others. If you drink orange juice you are getting all the carbs and sugars of several oranges at once, and your body doesn't have to use much energy to digest it. But, if you eat an orange itself, you get the pulp and your body has to work to digest it.

There are so many sites on the web that can explain much more to you. I'm still learning all about carbs and glycemic counts and fiber, etc, but I realize that with a little work and a little learning, I can eat a lot healthier than I have for most of my life.

Navigate this discussion: 1-6 7-16 17-26 27-36 37-46 47-49
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.