Poetry/Art -  Started Mixing Today (65 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 
Yep - started mixing the Skyypilot CD this afternoon - 3 songs down, 11 to go. It's going better than I thought. I am turning problems into art by making this sound like a late-60's psychedelia album. Tons of delay, flanging, and mega reverb can cover a lot of flaws if you do it right.

Since nothing succeeds like excess, I am just flat-out going for it and doing it totally over the top. If a part really sucks, I turn it off during the offending measures - so tracks fly in and out - it's kinda cool. Unless, of course, I just slather it silly with echo and flanging. I'm actually having fun..it kinda sounds like Phil Spector on acid producing the Chocolate Watch Band doing Pagan songs. The Pagan audience will either love it or hate it. And it's LOUD!

"We All Come From the Goddess" actually doesn't suck too bad. We goofed up both turnarounds (transition from verse to chorus), so at the end of the song I did my "Geddy Lee getting an electric cattle prod up his butt" imitation at the end of each phrase since I was extremely pissed off and knew it wasn't a keeper. But it turned out to be the best take, so the coda has one measure in every eight with the bass sounding like nuts & bolts in a blender, then going back to a simple groove...which is way cool! I don't allow myself to overplay that much on most songs, but I love doing it. So I did it on several more songs...

I'll send Tarty some early mixes, so she can tell you about them objectively...but trust me, this is the antithesis of Spiral Rhythm, despite sharing three band members in common.

BB,
BH

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/26/04 2:47 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 8) 
 8951.2 in reply to 8951.1 
~~it kinda sounds like Phil Spector on acid producing the Chocolate Watch Band doing Pagan songs.~~~

Oh, I realy can't wait to hear this one!

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 8951.3 in reply to 8951.2 
Almost done...one song left, plus I might re-mix one or two if I have time tomorrow. Had to axe one - it was just too bad. And my favorite - "Venus" - is off the CD, since we haven't heard back on permission to do it. My partner in crime is terrified we'll be sued if we put it out on a Pagan CD without written permission from the copyright holder(initial pressing - 200 copies).

But there's a WAY cool version of "Burning Times" absolutely unlike any other version I've ever heard (all 8:04 of it). Since it has the fewest drum screw-ups of any of the songs, it'll probably go as our submission to W'vox. Tarty, I'll send you a copy later this week, once it's done.

BB,
BH

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/2/04 3:14 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (4 of 8) 
 8951.4 in reply to 8951.3 
Sweetie-- take care of yourself first. Let me know how things go, and send me the cd when you can.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 8951.5 in reply to 8951.4 
I finished it today. Mark's assembling it in order & burning a master for the pressing plant tomorrow (and a spare for me - with a copy to you ASAP), the artwork will be ready Tuesday night, it all goes off Wednesday AM.

And just before I mixed the final song, the lead singer shows up - and tells us that since she contributed so much to everybody's songs, she should get co-writing credit on all of them. I'm over it. I didn't say a word. I just wrote out the song credits as I saw them for each song (including credits to her on any song she wrote even a single line on), told everyone that's how we'll copyright them, and to put "All songs by Skyypilot, except as credited. All arrangements by Skyypilot." on the CD, so no one gets individual credits except for outside writers (Z. Budapest - "...Goddess", Gwen Zac & what's his-face - "Circles", Charlie Murphy - "Burning Times"). And walked back to finish mixing. I don't know or care what the final decision was. All I want is for it to be finished, and for the final product to have the dedication to "We All Come From the Goddess" I asked for. I don't need my name on anything.

They are all convinced this CD sounds great and will eventually sell thousands of copies. But I can hear that it's not anywhere near standard airplay or major-label release standards because of flat vocals, off-tempo drums, and some other problems that weren't fixed because we "had" to have it pressed in time for upcoming gigs - same as last time. So I am going to quit being frustrated and do my own thing, once this is in the can. Good luck and God/dess bless them.

They say in AA that insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. So I'm going to get my copies of the CD for archival purposes, learn from the experience, and move on. Giving up a week's pay and spending a couple hundred dollars in expenses just to play with them at PSG is not worth the grief. Having a song on Witchvox and playing in front of 800 Pagans in a field somewhere in the woods is being a medium-sized fish in a very small pond. I understand that, and none of them seem to.

But if they are happy, I am happy for them. But I need to do what it takes to create work that is up to my own personal standards. I HATE having to apologize for something I worked on because of somebody else's lack of effort, committment, or ability.

AAUGH!!!!

BB,
BH

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/4/04 12:08 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (6 of 8) 
 8951.6 in reply to 8951.5 
(((((((((((((Blue)))))))))))))

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Poll-U-Shun

and
Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 8) 
 8951.7 in reply to 8951.6 
Sorry...I just had to blow off steam. I have sacrificed major time with my son, dropped playing with my friend the harpist, took time off work (two weeks before my review), spent money I could ill-afford on a couple mics and other equipment to make things sound better - and someone that can't bother to make all the rehearsals, can't play a note, wrote lyrics on two songs with my encouragement and support for her to try to contribute creatively, and has yet to buy so much as their own microphone suddenly...ahhhh...I know she's justified in her own mind, and arguing is pointless.

It's just that I've seen her be manipulative before, and this has all the hallmarks - deadline, pressure, all the money already spent, everyone else tired and frazzled, so we'll all just cave to let her have her way rather than fight. She won't change - the percussionist won't dedicate the time to get better or buy equipment - the drummer won't make a quantum jump in ability. I just like them (warts and all - just like me) as friends, and it's great to write and play Pagan music that represents deeply-held spiritual beliefs. But as the old saying go, sometimes you have to wonder if the f*ck!ng you're getting is worth the f*ck!ng you're getting.

Oh, well - it's done. And I have three workshops at PSG to teach. Do I really want to walk away from that? I don't know...hold while I do my Hamlet impersonation.

BB,
BH

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/4/04 1:36 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (8 of 8) 
 8951.8 in reply to 8951.7 
~~~It's just that I've seen her be manipulative before, and this has all the hallmarks - deadline, pressure, all the money already spent, everyone else tired and frazzled, so we'll all just cave to let her have her way rather than fight.~~~

Oh gods, Lar. I am dealing with an almost identical situation at work right now and the morale of the whole store has hit rock bottom. I almost walked out yesterday.

Luckily, Joe has been so supportive and encouraging and has convinced me to stick in there for now. He's helping me put together a case before I rationally and calmly approach her superior.

Sadly, you don't have that option.
You are so incredibly talented and your good nature and willingness to sacrifice in order to accomplish something that benefits all seems to screw you in the end.

So what can you do in this situation? Learn from your mistakes and try not to make the same ones again? Try to cover all the bases next time you do something like this? Set up your own business, where you have a contract and charge for your services?

Just food for thought.

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Poll-U-Shun

and
Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.