Think About This! -  Da Vinci Code-- fact or fiction? (61 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/27/04 1:38 PM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

This book has been on the best seller list for over a year, and has some folks very upset

Churches to take on 'Da Vinci'

By Laurie Goodstein
The New York Times

Fearing that the best-selling novel "The Da Vinci Code" may be sowing doubt about basic Christian beliefs, a host of Christian churches, clergy members and Bible scholars are rushing to rebut it.

In the past 13 months, readers have bought more than 6 million copies of the book, a historical thriller that claims Christianity was founded on a cover-up -- that the church has conspired for centuries to hide evidence that Jesus was a mere mortal, married Mary Magdalene and had children whose descendants now live in France.

Among "The Da Vinci Code" critics are evangelical Protestants and Roman Catholics who regard the novel -- which is laced with passages celebrating feminism, anticlericalism and pagan forms of worship -- as another infiltration by liberal cultural warriors. They also say the book exploits public distrust of the Catholic Church in the aftermath of the clergy sexual-abuse scandal.

There is evidence that Brown's novel could indeed be shaping the beliefs of a generation that is famously biblically illiterate. Michael S. Martin, a high school French teacher in Burlington, Vt., said he decided to read "The Da Vinci Code" when he noticed that his students were reading it in Harry Potter proportions.

"We like conspiracy theories, so whether it's JFK or Jesus, people want to think there's something more than what they are telling us -- the they in this case being the church," Martin said. "The church has a long and documented history of really trying to crush the whole feminine side, the pagan side. I think that's really hard to debate."

More on the book and the controversy

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 8953.2 in reply to 8953.1 
Brown's book is based on a book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, which I have read. It purports to show that there is an ancient conspiracy going on to this very day fostered by the Priory of Sion, an offshoot of the Knights Templar of medieval crusades fame. An interesting book, but full of supposition and speculation with no real documentary back-up. All of Brown's ideas come from this book.

There is a sequel by Baigent called "The Messianic Legacy". I haven't read it yet.

I just got two more books yesterday on this subject. One is "Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everbody's Asking" by Darrell L. Bock. He has a PhD. in theology. His book is supposed to refute Brown's theories.

The other is "Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries behind the Da Vinci Code" by Daniel Burstein, Editor. The book is an anthology of articles and essays on the "Code" by many theological luminaries, including Baigent, Karen King, Elaine Pagels, et al. By the looks of it, some are pro, and some are con. I'll know more after I read it.

Of course, Brown's theories are opposed by mainstream churches, especially the Catholic Church, and it's Opus Dei organization, both of with are not portrayed kindly, both it his "Code" book, and his earlier bood, "Angels and Demons".

So you work in a bookstore. Go check them out.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/29/04 11:59 PM 
To: BEOWULF (beowulf51)  (3 of 4) 
 8953.3 in reply to 8953.2 
Brown did a lot of research before writing Da Vinci Code. I'm sure that he read many books on the subject. In my little store, we have at least 5 books dealing with the same material that is the theme of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and there are more to come. It is apparant that Brown also researched Goddess Worship and Paganism.

I was reluctant to read Da Vinci Code because I attempted to read Angels and Demons last year and had to put it down. I just could not get past the horrific grammar and the feeling that I needed to have an edit pencil in my hand while I read.(That's one reason I will never read another James Patterson book-- one was more than enough)

I did, however, start the Da Vinci Code last week, merely to witness for myself the basis of all the controversy. One thing I can see for sure is that Mr. Brown has serious issues with the Catholic Church.

All in all, I am enjoying the book, even though I am figuring out what is going to happen next with almost every chapter. I must say that Brown's writing style has improved dramatically.

Edited 4/30/2004 12:01 am ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 8953.4 in reply to 8953.3 
Brown's book is such a hit that it is spawning offshoots like crazy. The publishing industry is now operating on the theory, "If you put Da Vinci on the cover, they will buy it".

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.