Living it! -  What do you do when you see litter on... (82 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/2/04 12:33 PM 
To: All Poll  (1 of 7) 
What do you do when you see litter on the ground?
I pick it up and find the nearest trash can
I carry plastic bags with me when out walking or hiking to pick up litter
I look at it in disgust and walk away
I ignore it. I didn't put it there
I leave it there. It will decompose someday
There is no litter laying around where I live
It depends on what it is, where it is, and how much of it there is
Fnord!

19 people have voted so far

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (2 of 7) 
 8973.2 in reply to 8973.1 
Depends on where I am, where I'm going, what it is and so forth... like if its a soda or beer can in the middle of summer? I'd have to be very careful because of stinging insects...

But for the most part, like when we're at the playground, we'll pick up litter cuz there are trash cans right there... makes the litter even more non-sensical.... but there are also times when we'll take a walk with bags on purpose to look for litter. And there's always smoething to be found.. sadly.

Also, sometimes it depends where the litter is... in poison ivy, or near soemthing dangerous... I'd have to take a raincheck... but always always I think to myself.. how easy of a thing to prevent if only people would be responsible for their own garbage... *grumble*

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/3/04 8:10 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM) Poll  (3 of 7) 
 8973.3 in reply to 8973.2 
When Joe and I go hiking or geo-caching we bring 3 or 4 bags with us. Joe will pick up just about anything if it is litter (touching it with the bag and not his hands)

Yeah, people shouldn't be littering, and they should be picking up after themselves, but if they were never taught respect for the land, then....

I think it's hopeless unless we start with the children

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Poll-U-Shun

and
Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/5/04 1:02 PM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (4 of 7) 
 8973.4 in reply to 8973.1 
I voted "it depends...". I will pick it up, but if it's windy I won't bother because I don't want to chase it all over town.

The current mood of missbanjo@yahoo.com at www.imood.com

The Beverly Vampires

Current Moon Phase

Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you're born to stand out~~What a Girl Wants

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (5 of 7) 
 8973.5 in reply to 8973.3 
We picked up litter at a local park's pride day a couple weeks ago... our whole Spiral Scouts cirle went.. the kids kept saying "geesh, people are gross" and "WHY do they do this?"... it was a great lesson not only for them to understand community servitude but also that something like litter is preventable... it's common sense.. you don't crap up your home, planet is home.. do you flick ciggys on yer carpet? no? Then don't do it outside either. It's amazing....

I had a friend who used to flick cig butts IN MY YARD.. she KNEW I was a nature freak... and I thought she had a bit more respect for nature since she called herself not only a Pagan but Druid... she did end up picking them back up and we got her an ashtray but dammit... that irritated me..

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/6/04 12:48 AM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM) Poll  (6 of 7) 
 8973.6 in reply to 8973.5 
Several years ago I took part in a Quinnipiac River clean-up with the UU Church (back in CT).
This was heavy duty work. We had cover-all waders, boots, and heavy gloves. There were groups working all along the river for about 25 miles.

I couldn't believe what we pulled out of the river. We even dragged out a flag pole and a whole swing set! And we had to be very careful. We also found syringes....

I don't remember the final totals on the weight of the trash that was pulled from the river that day, but it was enormous.

Hostess of
Astarte's Pagan Realm

Poll-U-Shun

and
Tarty Recipes!

Founder of

Hostess of

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (7 of 7) 
 8973.7 in reply to 8973.6 
Incredible.. some humans.. *sigh*

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.