Paganism -  Bob Barr is at it again (104 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/18/04 2:09 PM 
To: All  (1 of 14) 
This time he is blaming the Iraqi prisioner abuse on Pagans and gays in our society...

*sigh*

This is from my Pagan SCA list:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Fwd: Alert

Please forward this! It's important to see what our nation's leaders think of us pagans/wiccans.

--- Kerr Cuhulain wrote:

Subject: Alert
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:21:01 -0700

Greetings:

I'd like to bring two issues to your attention that affect Pagans everywhere in the US and Canada.

The first is that an alert reader pointed out an article in the March 2004 issue of Law Enforcement Technology magazine claiming to provide accurate information on the prevalence of "ritualistic crime" in North American and attempting to link Wiccans to it. I wrote a letter to the Editor in Chief of this magazine (who was also the author of the article), as well as his publisher calling him on the numerous errors and urban legends in the article and challenging his motives. Witchvox is now carrying an article I wrote debunking this article, which bore the title "Policing the Shadows". You can find this article at:
http://www.witchvox.com/whs/kerr_apts.html

The other issue is that former Republican Representative Bob Barr wrote a column attempting to link Wiccans and Gays to the abuse at Abu Ghraib Prison and other sex scandals that made the news. You can read this outrageous article at:
http://washingtontimes.com/commentary/20040515-104216-3211r.htm

Below is my letter to the editor protesting Barr's column. I encourage you all to add your voice to mine and challenge these individuals for their actions.

Bright Blessings

Kerr Cuhulain

Preceptor General, Officers of Avalon
www.officersofavalon.com

Bob Barr lists the scandals at Abu Ghraib Prison, scandals involving former president Bill Clinton, news stories involving Kobe Bryant and Michael Jackson, none of which are connected to or involved with Wicca or Neo-Pagan religion in any way. Then Barr makes an enormous illogical leap and states: "In the modern, 21st century military, in which the practice of Wicca or witchcraft is tolerated, accepted, and protected as a bona fide religion, and in which 'don't ask, don't tell' is the watchword of the day, we haven't a chance,." as if Wicca had anything to do with these unethical and/or illegal activities.

Wicca IS a bona fide religion Mr. Barr. It has been recognized by the courts and legal Wiccan clergy can be found in every state in the US. We have chaplains in many US and Canadian prisons. Our guiding principle, the Wiccan Rede, admonishes us to harm none. The abuse of prisoners in Abu Ghraib Prison and the child abuse activity attributed to Michael Jackson are abhorrent to Wiccans. How dare you make such outrageous claims about us? There is absolutely no excuse for making such accusations about us in this day and age. There is an enormous amount of accurate information out there on Wiccan practices, none of which would lead any intelligent person to assume that we'd ever be involved in illegal or unethical activities of the sort you describe.

There are thousands of Wiccans proudly serving in the US military. Many more defend North America and their communities as emergency services personnel. I've served as a police officer for 28 years and have been a Wiccan for 35. I am the leader of Officers of Avalon, a non-profit society representing people in police, fire fighter and emergency medical technician professions who follow Neo-Pagan spiritual paths, and I demand an apology from you and from the Washington Times for making such unfounded claims.

Detective Charles Ennis

Vancouver Police Department
Officers of Avalon
www.officersofavalon.com

Edited 5/18/2004 2:26 pm ET by Tarty (RAVENGIL)

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 14) 
 8997.2 in reply to 8997.1 
It's a shame that people have to lash out with fear and hate at something they don't understand. (Referring to Barr) I guess it's easier to hate something than to actually look into it and try to understand it.

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (3 of 14) 
 8997.3 in reply to 8997.2 
I live in the Congressional district right next to Mr. Barr's former district. My own opinion is that his mother must have been frightened by a liberal Black gay Pagan when she was pregnant with him. That he could be voted out in a district that recently tried to eliminate the teaching of evolution and replace it with "Creationism" shows HOW far out he is...

BB,
BH

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 14) 
 8997.4 in reply to 8997.1 
Do you mind if I post this as is to a couple local Pagan lists I'm on?

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/19/04 3:03 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (5 of 14) 
 8997.5 in reply to 8997.4 
Not at all. I got it from my Pagan SCA list

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/19/04 3:07 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (6 of 14) 
 8997.6 in reply to 8997.3 
If I thought it would do any good I would write him a letter blaming him for the attrocities in the Iraqi prison. Attitudes such as the one he esposes do more to further the mentality of "Us vs those demons" than anything else I can think of.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 14) 
 8997.7 in reply to 8997.5 
Thanks!

From: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)5/25/04 7:40 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 14) 
 8997.8 in reply to 8997.6 
That guy needs to wake up and smell the roses

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/25/04 12:54 PM 
To: Painwraith CPU =VOID Corp= (banewraith)  (9 of 14) 
 8997.9 in reply to 8997.8 
Or smell the crap he's spreading everywhere...

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 14) 
 8997.10 in reply to 8997.1 
*sighs* Here we go again...is it slander or libel when it is written falsely?

Much Love & Dreaming Wolf Blessings,

Domhnaill Emrys

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.