Think About This! -  Christian version of Harry Potter? (121 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/22/04 2:22 PM 
To: All  (1 of 9) 
Posted on Sat, May. 22, 2004

Shadowmancer is 'not rocket science; it's a thriller. I want people to keep turning the pages,' says Graham Taylor.

Vicar copes with literary blessing

By SUE CORBETT
scorbett@herald.com

A small bookstore in Southern Virginia is packed when Graham Taylor pulls up, a half-hour late, to autograph copies of his first book, Shadowmancer.

Taylor, dressed in the rumpled costume of the author-on-tour -- dark clothes with tennis shoes -- listens empathetically while the bookstore owner, glancing frequently at the impatient crowd inside, taps her toe.

Taylor has the chauffeur pop the trunk and lifts out his enormous plastic suitcase, laying it on the street. Beneath his souvenirs, his shirts and his socks, he unearths a copy of his unlikely runaway hit, a book dubbed by the British media as the ''Christian Harry Potter.'' He signs it for the woman, shakes the boy's hand, and prepares to face the rest of his public.

''Oh, well,'' he tells his publicist. ``That was the copy I was saving for Pat Robertson.''

The idea for Shadowmancer formed after Taylor said in a talk that he believed the Harry Potter books were being marketed to kids too young to understand the message. He felt the balance of power in the Potter books tilted too much toward evil.

''So a parishioner challenged me to write my own children's book,'' Taylor said. It took nine months. When he finished it, he paid 80 quid (about $80) for a critique through an online editorial service.

Indeed, part of Shadowmancer's success lies in its embrace by church-goers, who have found contemporary relevance in Taylor's allegorical story about an apocalyptic battle between good and evil. Though Taylor says he did not set out to write a story with an overtly Christian message, the symbolism is heavy.

The whole article

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 9) 
 9003.2 in reply to 9003.1 
I have read alittle about that awhile ago...I believe the character's name is Chris Porter? It sounds interesting. There is also a comic book called Books of Magic that has a character called Timothy Hunter who is also a teenager/child with magical abilities. I was amazed at how much Harry Potter and Timothy Hunter look alike. :)

Much Love & Dreaming Wolf Blessings,

Domhnaill Emrys

To: Spirithawk (Domhnaill)  (3 of 9) 
 9003.3 in reply to 9003.2 
I know- I adore both the characters of Tim Hunter and Harry Potter and it is funny- I was reluctant to read the Harry Potter books because of Books of Magic.

If you're walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

Check us out at Divinity Sisters

To: Chakrachick  (4 of 9) 
 9003.4 in reply to 9003.3 
Yeah, I love both character too! Almost right away I made a connection to how they both looked alike since I am a big fan of the Books of Magic series. I just recently saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday with my best friend. Very lovely movie :)

Much Love & Dreaming Wolf Blessings,

Domhnaill Emrys

To: Spirithawk (Domhnaill)  (5 of 9) 
 9003.5 in reply to 9003.4 
I don't know if you have heard, but there will be a new Tim Hunter serries sometime soon- writen by Neil Gaiman. Why is it that when ever I quit reading comics that something like this happens?

To: Chakrachick  (6 of 9) 
 9003.6 in reply to 9003.5 
Well, if you're reading Tim hunter books, I guess I'll have to look into them. ;-) The only "Christian" books I've ever read were the Chronicles of Narnia.

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (7 of 9) 
 9003.7 in reply to 9003.6 
No, Tim Hunter isn't CHristain- he is just another character who has some similarities to Harry. He was actually created before HP, though even his creator states that they have very little in common besides the fact that they are English, Bespecticalled and may be the greatest mage of their age.

To: Chakrachick  (8 of 9) 
 9003.8 in reply to 9003.7 
Ah, okay, Well, sounds like something I should read, anyway. ;-)

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (9 of 9) 
 9003.9 in reply to 9003.8 
Definatly! I love Books of Magic- you may be able to find the original mini serries in trade form.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.