Think About This! -  Don't drink the water! It's not Kosher! (42 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/1/04 9:46 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 
Orthodox Jews Worry Water Isn't Kosher
Tue Jun 1, 7:25 AM ET

NEW YORK - Orthodox Jews in New York have become concerned that the city's drinking water may not be kosher because it contains tiny crustaceans known as copepods.  

The organisms, which measure about a millimeter long, pose no threat to human health, according to the city Department of Environmental Protection. But Orthodox teaching bars the eating of crustaceans — aquatic animals with skeletons outside their bodies, including shrimp, crab and lobsters.

The organisms first came to the attention of Jewish leaders in Brooklyn two weeks ago, The New York Times reported Tuesday. An Israeli produce company that exports kosher vegetables to New York alleged that its products had become infested with insects after being washed in the city's water.

An examination of the water under a microscope revealed the copepods, which are common in unfiltered ocean water and groundwater. The city's supply comes mostly from reservoirs upstate and rates high enough under federal standards not to be filtered.

Link to the entire article

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 9021.2 in reply to 9021.1 
I understand adherence to tradition. I understand certain food bans. It was unsafe for a very very long time. I just don't understand considering someone unholy or anything like that because they don't adhere to tradition. Especially, for something that is no longer a dangerous issue. And yet another reason I gave up on organized religion. Adherence to the letter of the law and not the spirit.

:)

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/3/04 12:21 PM 
To: Rach (Ralac71)  (3 of 3) 
 9021.3 in reply to 9021.2 
good points

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.