This world we live in.. -  Intentional Consequences for a Draft (63 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host12/11/04 8:42 AM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 
Here's a thought:
1. Any President who proposes a draft and any Congressperson who votes for it are excluded, by law, from excusing their children from such a draft. Any circumvention of the draft would be deemed illegal and treasonous, resulting in immediate suspension from position and trial for treason.

2. Any children of the Chief Executive who proposes a draft (or under who's Administration a draft is implemented, regardless of the role played by the Chief Executive in the re-institution of the draft), as well as any offspring of the Congressfolk who vote to impose a draft, will be drafted in the first callup.

3. Any children of the Chief Executive who proposes a draft (or under who's Administration a draft is implemented, regardless of the role played by the Chief Executive in the re-institution of the draft), as well as any offspring of the Congressfolk who vote to impose a draft, who subsequently join the military prior to callup, and who may have known prior to the vote that such a draft was coming and joined in the 2 month period prior to such a draft in order to gain access to a non-combat position, will be immediately transferred to a front-line position. Any required hearings or tribunals to determine possible foreknowledge must occur immediately (within 2 weeks) and be concluded within another two weeks to avoid 'indefinite delay' of deployment.

4. Any reasons used to prevent, delay (indefinitely or otherwise), or disqualify such a person from deployment will immediately be publicly announced, and shall directly apply (retroactively) to all other personnel called up by the draft. Regardless of location, any and all troops meeting that condition will immediately be removed to a point of safety, released from service, and returned to their respective homes.

While this is, technically, unfair to the children of those who serve as our elected officials, it would ensure that those who send our children off to war are fully aware of the consequences of such action.

Comments...?

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

Reply   Options 

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (2 of 8) 
 9173.2 in reply to 9173.1 
Good idea, but I seriously doubt that it would fly. Bush and his crew already believe they're above the law, anyway.

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host12/11/04 10:05 AM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (3 of 8) 
 9173.3 in reply to 9173.2 

>> Good idea, but I seriously doubt that it would fly. Bush and his crew already believe they're above the law, anyway. <<

True.

Perhaps they need a new mandate...?

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (4 of 8) 
 9173.4 in reply to 9173.3 
Hey, this is Bush's war, right? I say we ship *him* over there to fight it.

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host12/12/04 10:13 AM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (5 of 8) 
 9173.5 in reply to 9173.4 
You're not the only one who feels that way. I've seen that sentiment expressed in multiple places.

GreyHawk

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (6 of 8) 
 9173.6 in reply to 9173.5 

Three counter-proposals:

1)Decimation. Any Congressperson voting for military action must prove their belief that it is necessary for Americans to die in combat by subjecting themselves to decimation, by the classical Roman model. All those voting for mlitary action are placed in a pool, 10% are chosen at random and immediately executed. If it is necessary for Americans to die for political ends, let Congress put their money where their mouth is.

2)Service. Only persons who have served their country (including non-military service such as VISTA, the Peace Corps, the old CCC, etc.) may hold public office. Or (following Heinlein's "Starship Troopers") even be able to vote. National Guard-hiding vermin such as "W - the President" would still be in, but Dick, Rummy, and the rest of the chicken hawks would be out.

3)Lottery. Make all military budget items be funded by a lottery. Ticket holders would be eligible for prizes - or service in combat units. I wonder how many tickets they'd sell?

BB,
BH

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host12/15/04 8:06 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (7 of 8) 
 9173.7 in reply to 9173.6 

...interesting. :)

Could be very interesting...

GreyHawk

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (8 of 8) 
 9173.8 in reply to 9173.1 
Reading this made me think of the looks Michael Moore got in "Fahrenheit 9/11" when he tried to recruit the children of congressmen. I think it's sad that in All of Congress only ONE has a child in the military. Apparently serving your country only goes sooo far.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.