Its Magick! -  The Doctors Say There's No Explanation (94 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 14) 

Hi, all!

Well, big news. I just had the once-over at the cardiac rehab center at Emory University Hospital (one of the top-rated facilities in the nation). The newest, way-coolest echocardiogram (it's really neat to see the inside of your heart working, with color-coded bloodflow) shows my mitral valve to be significantly improved, and my ejection fraction to be up to 35% - up from 15% a few years ago (oh, yeah - damaged mitral valves usually only get worse). I also managed 7 1/2 minutes on the accelerating treadmill (four years ago, I barely made 2).

Which means I just squeak by in no longer meeting a listing for totally permanently disabled, according to Social Security. And they say that if I stay at this level, I will have to start worrying abut things like retirement and paying for my kid's college education. Gee, I guess there's no unmixed blessings (LOLOL).

BB,
BH

Reply   Options 

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/4/05 9:32 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 14) 
 9199.2 in reply to 9199.1 
Mixed blessing indeed.
Congratulations? LOL

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/4/05 9:58 AM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (3 of 14) 
 9199.3 in reply to 9199.1 

((((((((((((((((Larry)))))))))))))))))

That's incredible!

You'll BE around for your son's college education! Isn't that worth everything in the world?

((((((((((((Larry)))))))))))))

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (4 of 14) 
 9199.4 in reply to 9199.1 

YAY!

This also means that your son will be around to see you inducted into the Music Hall of Fame :P

It's interesting... I was just thinking the other day about music and cardio-vascular health. It's been ricocheting around my head ever since, years ago, I was in a club that was playing industrial rock with heavy bass, and my heart kept trying to speed up to stay with the beat.

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (5 of 14) 
 9199.5 in reply to 9199.1 
Congratulations! I think anyway... LOL... yes, glad to hear your ticker's doin better! yeah!!

To: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 14) 
 9199.6 in reply to 9199.2 

It really is weird. I had to accept to a certain level what my doctors said about my life expectancy a couple years ago (80% mortality rate for CHF in 7 years, and my internist was 100% convinced I would not live out the first year - he told me earlier this year). I HAD to put my life in order, as they say. I HAD to consciously live as an example for my son, because I didn't know how long I'd be around to do it (not to be morbid, just realistic). I never gave up hope or a positive attitude, and I've been off Social Security for two months now, after a year on the job. I still qualify for SS because of my other medical problems (if I ever wanted or had to go back on it). I'm just too d*mn ornery to sit on my *ss, though!

But it really brought it home when the doctor phrased it as, "You know, you have a very good chance of reaching retirement age." It's incredible, but kind of frightening at the same time. On a certain level, I had become used to not having to plan for the future. Now I need to. Whoopee!!! Now I'm working on some of the other stuff, while continuing with cardio rehab. Sky's the limit, guys!

I've even started dating again, now that I know I won't up and die on someone (*G*). It's weird, getting back into the whole dating thing after so long...but it helps being a not-totally-ugly single, intelligent, educated, musically-talented man with a sense of humor and a leadership position in the congregation of my UU church. I wish I wasn't so damn shy around women one-on-one...(modest, no - shy, yes).

BB,
BH

• Edited 1/4/2005 10:49 pm ET by Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (7 of 14) 
 9199.7 in reply to 9199.6 
I'll bet you'll have the women falling all over you in no time. Glad to hear that things are getting better.

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (8 of 14) 
 9199.8 in reply to 9199.6 
You should do another song - When the Goddess Smiles.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (9 of 14) 
 9199.9 in reply to 9199.7 

They already are...and it's pretty awkward, having to help them up off the floor (*G*).

BB,
BH

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (10 of 14) 
 9199.10 in reply to 9199.6 
Amazing! Congrats, Bluehawk, that is just wonderful.

If you're walking on thin ice, you may as well dance.

C’thulu for President- when you’re tired of choosing the lesser of two Evils.

Check us out at Divinity Sisters

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.