This world we live in.. -  And now, the news... (85 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host1/13/05 12:52 AM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 
I use a variety of machines - and browsers - to get my news. Sometimes, I don't get the 'newsy jump' on the day that I usually enjoy, and that cuts into my capacity to share interesting factoids with everyone here.

Lately, I've been tapped out for time.

To make amends, I've found a few selections that appeared in NetScape - always an interesting selection of news there, for some reason - and thought I'd share. When exploring these stories, please check out the highlighted blue text - some links are related to the story, and sometimes they link to entirely different ones (the very last tidbit, in fact, was found because it was linked at the bottom of the story immediately preceeding it).

Tomorrow, I'm taking Mumsie and the Woo Dog (my big dog, the Malamute) to New York. The Big Dog has cancer. There's a well-known vet clinic that's reportedly had a great record treating cancerous pets, using natural remedies by preference and 'man-made' remedies when no alternative exists.

Mumsie (my ailing mother-in-law, in the starting stages of an as-yet undetermined form of dementia) has insisted on accompanying us, as the Big Dog is her constant companion and friend. (And mutual acknowledged as an assistant primary caretaker of Mumsie.) ;)

Since we'll be up and out early (hopefully), I'm sharing these tidbits now.

Please wish us a safe and productive trip, and improved health all 'round...and ponder the stories provided. They are nice and (IMO) interesting break from some of the political noise we've been assailed with of late.

Ancient Secret Found on a Roman Statue

The ancient 7-foot tall marble statue of Atlas, the mythical titan who carried the heavens on his shoulders, may reveal clues to the long-lost work of the ancient astronomer Hipparchus, reports Reuters. The clues are on the globe Atlas hoists on his shoulder.

[...]

That's a story I thought was great - finding long-lost ancient wisdom hidden in plain site. And probably not intentionally hidden - it was, IMO, quite likely intentionally done as an honor to Hipparchus.

Then again, who's to say what the "Bush Monkey" portrait will be viewed as when it's unearthed thousands of years from now...!

Love a Juicy Steak or Burger? Scary News

If you eat red meat and processed meat, such as bacon and bologna, over a long period of time, it could significantly increase your risk of cancer in the colon and rectum, Reuters and The Associated Press report of a new study conducted by researchers at the American Cancer Society in Atlanta, Ga.

[...]

Blech!

I've been migrating our home toward consuming more and more organic foods, reducing the intake of processed foods, for several months now. Financially, it's not easy - particularly not in this area. But it is achievable, at least in moderate amounts.

Both Wifey and I have begun to use our YMCA memberships to get back into shape, and I've been slowly re-acquainting myself with herbal and supplement knowledge. We've begun adding a few key items to our intake, and staging some meals more often to reflect a more balanced and healthy dietary approach.

I think it's working. I'm noticing improvements.

Now, if we can just get better meats more often...more chicken and turkey, some more fish, and a higher concentration of organically produced foods at affordable prices...

A Nude Painting Like None Ever Seen

Who knew art from the Ice Age looked like this?

Historians have located in a limestone cave in Great Britain's Creswell Crags a stunning haul of art that is some 13,000 years old. To those of us who are not trained in such things, one of the cave etchings looks like a sock. Or maybe a boomerang. No! It must be the head of a long-billed bird. Wrong. Wrong. And still wrong.

The experts in British art history have determined it is most likely a nude woman, making it quite possibly the country's oldest nude art, reports The Telegraph.

[...]

Well, now ~that's~ interesting. How many years have we done archeology, and this is the first time such a find has been reported?

(The first I recall hearing of it, anyway.)

This is an article that could get some very interesting play with the Radical Religious Reich - er, "Right".

OK - time this Hawk called it a night and got ready for his trip...g'nite, all!

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

Reply   Options 

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/13/05 11:18 AM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (2 of 8) 
 9209.2 in reply to 9209.1 

Thank you for the interesting stories.

And best of luck with Wooo. Please let us know how things turn out!

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host1/13/05 7:59 PM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 9209.3 in reply to 9209.2 

We're starting off by adjusting her diet to more natural / no processed food, and adding a bunch of supplements.

Had a more intensive blood workup than usual, in order to learn a bit more about other measurable items (thyroid, etc.). That'll help with the adjustment of foods and supplements.

She also had an herbal shot, as well as a shot for her joints (I forget what the shot was called - began with an "a")...she's going on an 8 week program of shots for her hip/joints.

Somewhere in all that, after we learn the results of the blood, we'll know if she's likely to do OK with anaesthesia, and whether it would be safe to operate on the existing lumps.

*sigh*

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/13/05 11:22 PM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (4 of 8) 
 9209.4 in reply to 9209.3 
It sounds like you are doing all you can. She's a lucky dog

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host1/14/05 12:06 AM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 9209.5 in reply to 9209.4 

Thank you - you've met her. You know how much personality she's got.

;)

GreyHawk

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/14/05 6:45 PM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (6 of 8) 
 9209.6 in reply to 9209.5 
Yep, and she didn't pee on my sleeping bag....

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host1/14/05 6:57 PM 
To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 8) 
 9209.7 in reply to 9209.6 

LOL!

...no, that's true - the little one claimed you as hers, and demonstrated ownership that way.

Wasn't that fun?

{8/

GreyHawk

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/14/05 7:09 PM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (8 of 8) 
 9209.8 in reply to 9209.7 

Yes, and I'm so happy to have been claimed

hehehehehehe

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.