This world we live in.. -  Cultural Vandalism- Tarty don't look (50 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

We may have to restrain Tarty...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1390973,00.html

The damage wrought by the construction of an American military base in the ruins of the ancient city of Babylon must rank as one of the most reckless acts of cultural vandalism in recent memory. And all the more so because it was unnecessary and avoidable.

The camp did not have to be established in the city - where the Hanging Gardens, one of the seven wonders of the world, once stood - but given that it was, the US authorities were very aware of the warnings of archaeologists of the historic importance of the site. Yet, as a report by Dr John Curtis of the British Museum makes clear, they seem to have ignored the warnings.

Dr Curtis claimed that in the early days after the war a military presence served a valuable purpose in preventing the site from being looted. But that, he said, did not stop "substantial" damage being done to the site afterwards not just to individual buildings such as the Ishtar Gate, "one of the most famous monuments from antiquity", but also on an estimated 300,000 square metres which had been flattened and covered in gravel, mostly imported from elsewhere. [...]

Reply   Options 

From: ThunderWolf (britespirit) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/15/05 2:15 PM 
To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (2 of 5) 
 9212.2 in reply to 9212.1 
I say let Tarty at 'em! After reading what you wrote I won't be following the link. It's just too anger provoking, and I don't need the stress.

Blessings,

ThunderWolf

ThunderWolf's Card for Today is:

To: ThunderWolf (britespirit) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 9212.3 in reply to 9212.2 

It's hard. How many Wonders of the World do we have left?

The Pyramids?

The Colossus is gone, forever. Pieces of it were sold as souvenirs to Syrians around 654 AD.

The Lighthouse of Alexandria is gone. And the Library too. That one still hurts.

The Temple of Zeus is gone, except for some rubble, and nothing remains of the statue.

Attempts to rebuild Artemis' temple were halted by Christians. So much for the "the most beautiful structure on earth."

The Mauseleum was taken apart to build a castle for the Knights of St. John.

No wonder the world is such s#!t. Not only do we not have our Wonders anymore, the reamins of them are deemed worthless.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/17/05 4:11 AM 
To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (4 of 5) 
 9212.4 in reply to 9212.1 

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry, but I had to look

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 9212.5 in reply to 9212.4 
Figures

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.