Greetings! -  Big Changes for Bluehawk (95 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 12) 

Well...I mean REALLY big changes!

As of next month, I will be the office systems administrator at my work (most importantly, helping design and administer internal systems and proceedures using my background in QC and technical management as well as the actual physical systems like computers and telephony). That means a big raise, plus they have agreed to pay my tuition at New Horizons to upgrade my computer skills and suchlike. I will also finally have to get off my lazy butt and learn enough Web design to upgrade and administer our currently really crappy web site (go see for yourself - http://www.thegao.org/). I may be asking some of you web whizzes for assistance.

Before this, I had already applied to the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies at Georgia State University for the Not-for-profit Policy Administration Master's program (instead of law school, as I've been considering - but I finally decided I didn't need to spend four years in the metaphorical hell of a full-time job plus night law school, or three years of poverty and full-time law school). So, I'm going back to grad school nights in the Fall - if I do well enough on the GRE after 20-odd years out of college and a head injury.

Also, I'm now scheduled to do services several times in upcoming months at my UU church. This is a big deal, as I am an "out" Pagan as a lay minister, and we are one of the largest UU congregations in the country. The church administration is going out on a limb doing this. A lot of the old fogeys won't be happy, and there could even be negative press, even though I AM going to be wearing my UU hat and not do Pagan-style Ritual.

Oh, yeah - and I have a new Significant Other and it is going extremely well (saving the best for last)...

Other than that, not much going on.

Love, light, and laughter -
BH

Reply   Options 

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (2 of 12) 
 9247.2 in reply to 9247.1 
Congrats!! Will you be doing the graphic designs of the webpage or more functional stuff like "add to basket" and that?

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (3 of 12) 
 9247.3 in reply to 9247.1 

"Other than that, not much going on."

Sounds like more than enough to me! I know a little html, and quite a bit of Photoshop 7, so if you need any help there, give a yell.

Not bad for someone who was supposed to have been dead years ago. ;-)

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (4 of 12) 
 9247.4 in reply to 9247.2 

"Add to basket" LOLOL!!!! Nope, none of that...I work for a disability advocacy not-for-profit. However, good web design is good web design (as well as the contrary). Our website blows beets, in my humble opinion. Visually unappealing, confusing, not really logical...it is a web site for the sake of being able to say we HAVE one.

I am bringing in some experts to help - as a former project manager, I know it's faster to hire expertise, rather than trying to learn it all from scratch then spending a lot of time making rookie mistakes and re-inventing the wheel. So I will work on system design and a functional knowledge of what I'll be responsible for, rather than getting into details at first. Our email is bouncing all the time...our phone system is scr@wing up, our database is circa 1997 (and poorly designed for even then), and the office manager who had our IT duties didn't want to take classes to get up to speed on anything. I'm being promoted on attitude, not current skills (life lesson there, folks!).

And I will share the wit and wisdom of Monty Python..."But I'm not dead yet! ...I'm feeling better!"

BB,
BH

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (5 of 12) 
 9247.5 in reply to 9247.4 
LOL Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Sounds like you're on the right track though and I'm sure you'll do a great job. :D

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/28/05 3:28 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (6 of 12) 
 9247.6 in reply to 9247.1 

That is so GREAT!!!!

({({({Congrats BH!!})})})

Current Moon Phase

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (7 of 12) 
 9247.7 in reply to 9247.1 

As I read this I think of 2 well used cliche's....... It's been a long row to hoe but now you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. You've come a long way in the last few years that I've been around. I'm really happy things are working out for you.

Good Luck!!!!
Rach

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/1/05 12:51 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (8 of 12) 
 9247.8 in reply to 9247.1 

Wow ((((((((Larry))))))))))

It all sounds so wonderful, and you surely deserve it.

:-)

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (9 of 12) 
 9247.9 in reply to 9247.8 

One bad thing I just found out today - I have to fully qualify for the Master's program for the certificate program. To do so, I have to take and get an acceptable score on the GRE by April 1. I don't see how I can do it, what with all the other demands on my time. I need a bit of review, since I haven't been in a classroom since 1989.

I may just take it, and the heck with it...if I don't pass, I don't.

BB,
BH

P.S. - I need to write you when I have time. I just got in (10:10 PM), and have to get up at 6 for the fitness center. And my boss is off for family stuff the rest of the week - so I'm acting chief of staff until next Monday. PLUS my own job. AAAAUGH!!!!

Of course, I could have just skipped seeing my sweetie tonight and rested up. Nah...

From: Mir (LadyMiranda3) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/2/05 11:22 PM 
To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (10 of 12) 
 9247.10 in reply to 9247.1 

Congratulations babe!

WOOT

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-12
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.