This world we live in.. -  Pentagon "Global Cop": what sovereignty? (76 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host3/22/05 6:02 PM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 

This may already be posted elsewhere here, but check this out:

Pentagon reaffirms globocop role
By Jim Lobe

WASHINGTON - March has been a bad month for the world's multilateralists who, encouraged by several early appointments to the US State Department and a successful presidential tour of Europe, had hoped that President George W Bush would temper his unilateralist instincts in his second term. But culminating in Friday's release by the Pentagon of a new "National Defense Strategy of the United States of America", the past few weeks have showered a bracing dose of cold water on that notion.

Combined with the nomination earlier in the month of super-unilateralist John Bolton as Bush's ambassador to the United Nations, as well as the US withdrawal from the jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for cases involving the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, the new Strategy strongly suggests that Washington's interest in its traditional alliances, multilateral institutions, and even international law is on a downward trajectory.

The 24-page public document, signed by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, is designed to lay out some of the basic assumptions of the US role in the world, particularly as regards peace and security, that will guide the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR), an important exercise carried out every four years that steers the US Strategy, the Pentagon's more than US$400 billion annual budget, and military "transformation" over the next five to 10 years.

[...]

Here's something key from close to the end of the article, which I hope nobody has overlooked:

The Strategy suggests that Washington will not be reluctant to send its forces into other states that, in its opinion, do not "exercise their sovereignty responsibly" or that "use the principle of sovereignty as a shield behind which they claim to be free to engage in activities that pose enormous threats to their citizens, neighbors, or the rest of the international community".

If you thought the use of the phrase "giving up it's sovereignty" was just a poor choice of words, think again. I think it is simply a lead-in to get the threat of a 'security' takeover ready for introduction.

And I don't think Mexico will make out much better.

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

Reply   Options 

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (2 of 8) 
 9257.2 in reply to 9257.1 
I see an empire in the making. :-(

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host3/22/05 7:47 PM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (3 of 8) 
 9257.3 in reply to 9257.2 

>> I see an empire in the making. :-( <<

I see the laying of the foundations with which to try, at least.

:/

GreyHawk
Picture is of a Red-Tailed Hawk, light morph immature, from  www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3370id.html

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (4 of 8) 
 9257.4 in reply to 9257.3 
Damned Republicans, think they can get away with anything now. :-(

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (5 of 8) 
 9257.5 in reply to 9257.1 

This is really nothing new. Both Republican and Democratic administrations have thought the US is the cop of the world since right after WWII. Witness Greece, Korea, Vietnam etc.

From: GreyHawk (greyhawk121) Posted by host3/23/05 12:58 PM 
To: BEOWULF (beowulf51)  (6 of 8) 
 9257.6 in reply to 9257.5 

>> This is really nothing new. Both Republican and Democratic administrations have thought the US is the cop of the world since right after WWII. Witness Greece, Korea, Vietnam etc. <<

True, yet - it does further diminish international ties, and assume more of a 'lone wolf' stance.

That, in the hands of this administration in particular, is a very dangerous sign. It lays the foundational justifications for further actions, across a broader scale, and with intentionally less ties back to the international arena.

GreyHawk

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (7 of 8) 
 9257.7 in reply to 9257.1 

Dear Gods help us all...

Blessed Be,

~Spirithawk

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (8 of 8) 
 9257.8 in reply to 9257.1 
Bush II probably think that he is simply "making the world safe for democracy."

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.