Animals in our lives -  Covered in Fur (100 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 

If you...or "someone you know", has cats...
I was wondering...how many cats do you/they have?

What do you consider *too many*?

Have you/they ever taken what some would consider "extraordinary" measures to care for and safeguard ferals and/or "friendly strays"?

Ya know...just curious...

Reply   Options 

From: Erin (Vigdisdotter) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/4/05 12:09 AM 
To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (2 of 10) 
 9264.2 in reply to 9264.1 

I have four kitties currently.  The most I ever had at one time was 21.

Too many is when there is not enough space and food for all of them.

I've taken strays to the vet before, paid it, taken care of them, then released them to do their thing.

Host of
Intuitively
Speaking

Host of
The
Shamanic
Way

The doer alone learneth.
     --Friedrich Nietzsche

The Sexy Heathen Babe

To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (3 of 10) 
 9264.3 in reply to 9264.1 
I have two cats; I would consider too many to be more than your city's bylaws state. I don't think I've done anything extraordinary for their wellbeing--Just the usual taking care of and loving. :)

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/5/05 6:52 AM 
To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (4 of 10) 
 9264.4 in reply to 9264.1 
I currently have 17, although not all are mine. 5 are mine, 2 my best friends (who is in Miami due to her ####'s illness), and 10 are fosters. The fosters consist of 8 kittens, a litter of 6 8week olds and their mama, the other 2 kittens are 6 & 7 month olds. The 6 month old is a special kitty. He came to me being called Bob which I changed to Doodle. It was Bob because he has some kind of problem where his head bobbles but only to the left & right and the more excited he gets the faster it moves. You should see him running down the hallway. The last is a former stray at my old apartment, he'll go up for adoption when he's ready.
I've been with a rescue group for 3 1/2 years and had many fosters and rescued strays to be put up for adoption. Fostering can be a hard job because we don't have a history of a lot of these animals. Just in the past 4 months I've lost 2 kittens and a mama and her litter and there was nothing I could do (except take them to the vet of course)

Current Moon Phase

• Edited 4/5/2005 6:57 am ET by MissBanjo

To: Erin (Vigdisdotter) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 10) 
 9264.5 in reply to 9264.2 

did you find homes for your other kitties?

"Too many is when there is not enough space and food for all of them."
I think I'm going to start using this in my arguements...if you don't mind. :)

Most people around here just take strays to Animal 'Services' where they have a life expectancy of about an hour

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (6 of 10) 
 9264.6 in reply to 9264.3 
You have two kids, then? ;-)
I bet you don't even jay-walk! *L*
Okay...what would you consider extraordinary?

To: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 9264.7 in reply to 9264.4 
17=1/2 mine...how many we *have* is based on who is doing the asking and who you ask ;) Is Doodle adoptable (is the bobble associated with vision/neuro./behavioral problems) or is he a 'new addition'. We just got involved with an 'offiial' rescue group about a month ago. Before that, we were just picking up strays and doing what we could afford to do for them. Anyone want a one-eyed, ex-feral cat? Sorry you lost the litter and mama-we haven't lost a parent, yet, but we lost 4 litters in the past year (one was abandoned and we couldn't find them 'till it was far to late, one succumbed to disease, one we think had birth defects-3 kittens out of the original 10 survived, and one was stolen from our backyard).

From: Erin (Vigdisdotter) DelphiPlus Member Icon4/5/05 5:03 PM 
To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (8 of 10) 
 9264.8 in reply to 9264.5 

did you find homes for your other kitties?

Oh yes :)  the 21 was when I was growing up.  We lived across the road from the air force base on a vegetable farm.  And people would dump their animals when they were transferred out. 

We spent a lot of time finding home for kitties.

I think I'm going to start using this in my arguements...if you don't mind. :)

Not at all :)

Most people around here just take strays to Animal 'Services' where they have a life expectancy of about an hour

Yeah, I know.  I've put myself in financial straights for the sake of animal, even if it wasn't mine.  And I probably will again.

Host of
Intuitively
Speaking

Host of
The
Shamanic
Way

The doer alone learneth.
     --Friedrich Nietzsche

The Sexy Heathen Babe

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/5/05 7:59 PM 
To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (9 of 10) 
 9264.9 in reply to 9264.7 
Other than his head bob Doodle seems to be developing normally and he'll be adoptable when we have him neutered. We're not sure what's wrong with him. The vet went over him pretty well just before I got him and couldn't find anything. We put him on prednisone to see if there was any swelling in the brain but that didn't do anything. He's also been on clavamox and doxycycline for an infection he had. We're guessing that it's neuro and we'll have the vet decide in a few weeks. I found out it's possible that it could be Cerebellar Hypoplasia, something some other fosters had, even though his head bobbing is quite different from focus tremors. Whatever is wrong with him is the reason he hasn't been neutered and put up for adoption. If it's neuro he shouldn't be neutered until he's 6-12 months old. He's a very sweet little guy and I may make him permanent here but I'm not sure yet.
The most recent litter & mama I lost was because of an infection that mama had in her uterus and wasn't producing milk, come to find out she wasn't eating either. She had an extremely hard labor at the vets office and I got them 2 days later. The kittens actually lasted about 3 days longer than she did but were just too young even for constant hand feeding.

Current Moon Phase

To: Mário Filho (mariofilho)  (10 of 10) 
 9264.10 in reply to 9264.6 
I have two furbabies. :D Extraordinary I would consider starting a nokill shelter to be. I admire the stamina and commitment of the people who run those shelters; they're work is certainly extraordinary.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.