Animals in our lives -  Mouse Mommy (78 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 13) 
Okay, earlier today, a friend called me with a problem. She found a baby mouse on her floor. She's not the kind to kill a baby mouse, and she told me that if she tried to keep it, her parents would get rid of it. So, now I am a proud #### of a mouse. (She made me promise to take care of it until it's old enough to set free.) It's about two and a half inches long, eyes still closed. Any ideas on how to take care of it until it's old enough to set free? I've tried putting a drop of milk on its mouth, but it doesn't seem to be drinking it, though it does get excited at the smell.

Reply   Options 

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (2 of 13) 
 9274.2 in reply to 9274.1 

Ralph, most pet stores stock a "pet formula" that comes as a powder to mix with the milk. Try that (throw away any unused mixed milk, as it spoils FAST) Give it to the tyke with an eye dropper or doll bottle, maybe four or five times a day. You may have to kind of squirt it a tad to get it to suck and swallow.

Stroke the miskit with something soft while feeding it.

And here's the gross part: You will, after feeding, need to stroke its genitals with a moistened Qtip to "stimulate" the proper bodily functions.

And any body who gives me guff on this one will pay. I'm not being campy, snide, or perverted.

Good luck Ralph. It isn't easy keeping a wee one alive without the maternal unit.

If it survives one day, you're doing good.

(edited because the one-word-synonym for "Maternal unti" was censored)

• Edited 4/27/2005 2:32 am ET by MythBlade (Talismonger)

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (3 of 13) 
 9274.3 in reply to 9274.2 
Well, I guess I'm not a good mommy after all. Franky passed away last night. Had the funeral this morning. I don't think I'll tell my friend Crystal, though, because it would really upset her. Gonna have to figure out how long it would have taken for the eyes to open, and the mouse to be big enough to take care of itself, so I can give her progress reports and let her think Franky's okay.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (4 of 13) 
 9274.4 in reply to 9274.1 
Oh that's so sweet. Thank you for taking care of mousie. I've never taken care of a baby mouse in my life; hopefully you can get some good advice here.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (5 of 13) 
 9274.5 in reply to 9274.3 
I'm so sorry ((((((((Ralph.))))))))

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (6 of 13) 
 9274.6 in reply to 9274.3 

Trying to raise a little one like that is problematic at best.

It has nothing to do with whether you are a "good mommy or not".

I took care of a baby bird (didn't even have feathers, eyes not open, etc., once. Kept it alive for about 8 hours... but it died.

The youngling's parent knows what to do instinctively. We are simply not wired correctly to know what to do.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (7 of 13) 
 9274.7 in reply to 9274.5 
I'm more worried how Crystal would take it if I told her the truth.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (8 of 13) 
 9274.8 in reply to 9274.6 
Thanks, Myth, I feel a little better now. Been reading up on mice, and found that they rarely live beyond a year, anyway. At least I'll have a better idea of what to do if Crystal ever comes to me with another baby mouse. ;-)

From: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/16/05 2:39 PM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (9 of 13) 
 9274.9 in reply to 9274.8 

:D YES I am still alive! RL has been getting in the way lately.

I can tell you from experience Ralph that kittens most likely won't survive hand feeding until they're at least 3 weeks old. Any younger and you're going to be a sad "kitten mommy". Don't know what the age is on mice but he/she may have just been too young.

Current Moon Phase

To: MissBanjo DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 13) 
 9274.10 in reply to 9274.9 

((((((((((((((Miss Banjo)))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for the advice. As I said, the mouse was about three inches long, had hair, but its eyes were still closed. Crystal had a cat, but she said it wasn't paying attention, so I don't know if it did anything to the mouse. Doesn't matter, now, the poor thing is buried. Didn't have the heart to tell Crystal, though.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.