Requests-prayers,energy,etc, -  Request for Crystal Care Suggestions (35 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 

I soaked some jewelry and my crystals in vinegar water overnight to clean them; some came out a little rough for some reason but most of them weren't too bad.

For some reason though my onyx turned out really rough and an ugly greenish grey colour. It used to be black. What happened to it? Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Reply   Options 

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (2 of 8) 
 9288.2 in reply to 9288.1 

I know that vinegar reacts with some minerals. I think it's limestone that will dissolve in vinegar. Vinegar is a strong chemical albeit tasty. One of the best degreasers that I know of is 1 part vinegar, 1 part Amonia, .5 part baking soda and 5 parts water.

I think if you hadn't left it in so long it would have been ok. Mild soap is really the best. I like Dawn dish soap.

take care

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (3 of 8) 
 9288.3 in reply to 9288.1 

Vinegar, like bleach, is an acid. It will eat away at some compounds.

Black, such as your onyx, will turn greyish-green when bleached.

Do not leave colored stones in salt water for very long either. It will also act as a bleaching agent.

I learned this the hard way.

----------------
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - H.G. Wells

[This sig generated by the all-new Ten-Fingers-Hunt-n-Peck Typist(c)!]

My Message Board: http://lunatext.6k2.com

. My site: http://www.geocities.com/lunatextpublications/devproject/index.html

• Edited 6/15/2005 5:05 am ET by MythBlade (Talismonger)

To: Rach (Ralac71)  (4 of 8) 
 9288.4 in reply to 9288.2 
That makes sense, thanks! I'll keep that in mind for next time, and also look for around for a new onyx too.... :P

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (5 of 8) 
 9288.5 in reply to 9288.3 

I guess I learned it the hard way too! *lol*

Thanks for the tip too; I'll keep the crystals out of vinegar from now on. :P

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (6 of 8) 
 9288.6 in reply to 9288.5 

If you *have* to clean your stones and crystals, warm water with a little soap should do just fine. If you need to get tarnish off metal jewelry that has natural stones or crystal in it, ask a jeweler for suggestions.

Oh, and be very leary of sonic jewelry cleaners for crystal. Crystals have tiny little fractures inside them, and the sonic cleaners can cause the crystal to crack or craze.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (7 of 8) 
 9288.7 in reply to 9288.6 
Great, thanks! I guess I'm going to have to go onyx shopping very soon too. I don't want to throw the old one out though (poor thing;) I'm attached to it. (Not very Buddhist like, I know..... :P )

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (8 of 8) 
 9288.8 in reply to 9288.6 

I know a few jewelry makers and they recommend tooth paste. It won't pit stones but it will get the tarnish off.

:)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.