Think About This! -  Pope courting fundamentalist Christians? (38 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Is Benedict XVI making a play for fundamentalist Protestants?

I'm being facetious of course, but that's the thought that popped into my head when I read this piece about the Pope's criticism of Harry Potter novels:

Pope Benedict XVI has condemned the Harry Potter books as "subtle seductions," capable of corrupting young Christians, in two letters which have now been published online.

However, despite criticism from the pontiff, it would appear the boy wizard Harry has built a fanbase close to the headquarters of Catholicism. Amazon.co.uk, the online bookseller, today revealed it had received advance orders for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, published on Saturday, from over 90 countries - including the Vatican.

The Pope's comments were included in two letters to Gabriele Kuby, the German religious author, who had sent him a copy of her book, Harry Potter - gut oder böse? (Harry Potter: Good or Evil?)

In one response, dated March 2003, he wrote in German: "It is good that you enlighten us on the Harry Potter matter, for these are subtle seductions that are barely noticeable, and precisely because of that have a deep effect and corrupt the Christian faith in souls even before it could properly grow."

To continue: Pope vs Harry Potter

Reply   Options 

To: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 9299.2 in reply to 9299.1 

It's a book of FICTION!

F I C T I O N!

When will people realize this...

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (3 of 3) 
 9299.3 in reply to 9299.2 

Well, at least now I know why you weren't at Dumbledore's funeral.

;-p

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Shotgun of The Short Path.

Get yours.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.