Its Magick! -  Brooms (114 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 16) 

Remember in the movie Practical Magic (Don't groan yet...) when they had to do an exorcism to get rid of the bad boyfriend infesting Nicole Kidman, and Sandra Bullock was calling all the nieghbors that once picked on her to come help and told them to "bring their brooms"?

And they all showed up with ordinary, plastic, bought-at-walmart brooms? And their ritual (albiet fictional and exagerated) worked anyway?

They didn't all have to switch to wooden old fashioned brooms for their ritual to work. (Forget even that I'm referring to fictional events, I just needed an example most people can picture if they've seen the movie.)

I've seen some dispute over plastics being faux pas in ritual. I've even subscribed to it as plastic is manmade and doesn't come from previously existing lifeforms (like wood to trees).

But could your ole reliable you got cheap at WalMart be more potent for you to cleanse your sacred space than a 200 dollar hand-made antique-look-alike you bought online or at a craft fair?

You use a plastic broom to sweep your house, manually removing dirt (negativity) from your kitchen or other rooms. It's an actual thing you use often and associate with removing dirt from the home.

Some people may make a specific distinction between the wooden broom they may have bought (or may just desire from a distance) but without knowing the feel of it in your hands as well, the pressure applied to use it and the feeling of satisfaction when the dirt is gone, would you have the same relationship with your wooden broom as the women of old did, when that WAS all that was available to them and they DID clean their kitchens with it? Or, despite materials, would ole reliable be a better choice for attempting to have the same association?

I personally don't feel as if plastic holds energy on its own, and usually scoff at anything like plastic wands and I am even reluctant to use Sculpy, a poly-based faux clay, on it while I do use it for arts and crafts.

But with cleansing negative energy with a broom isn't it more the intent of your mind that counts? Would the plastic even make a difference?

My Art Gallery

"Me I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a####dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly. It's####the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you never know when they'll do####something incredibly stupid." -Jack Sparrow

Please note my sig images are not snaggable. Thank you.

Reply   Options 

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (2 of 16) 
 9308.2 in reply to 9308.1 

Personally, I think you could use anything that you've "conditioned" for the purpose, but something that was once alive would be easier to attune and perhaps work more effectively.

The only potential disadvantage of something previously alive is whether or not it had any previously extant negative energy to start with - tho I would expect someone who was attuned to his/herself and her environment would shy away from such an item and select something else.

Image manipulated and presented courtesy of JDF

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (3 of 16) 
 9308.3 in reply to 9308.2 

Probably.

My what a busy forum we are lately... *crickets*

My Art Gallery

"Me I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a####dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly. It's####the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you never know when they'll do####something incredibly stupid." -Jack Sparrow

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (4 of 16) 
 9308.4 in reply to 9308.3 

...Crickets? Where? I thought they'd all bugged out...

;)

Image manipulated and presented courtesy of JDF

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (5 of 16) 
 9308.5 in reply to 9308.1 

My issue with plastic is that not only is it not a natural material, but also for a couple other reasons:

1: Plastic feels dead to me. Never really had much affinity for it (although an ex-friend is trying to incorporate it, as an element of itself, in a magickal system).

2: I know the chemical properties of plastic, as well as some the long-term effects of it oxidizing. Plastic is not a solid, gas, or liquid, it is in a classification of "amorphous". Heat it and it melts, but not into a liquid. Plastic is always in a state of flux, between one thing and another. I don't use poisons in ritual, and I do not use something that can not, within the bounds of ritual, be controlled.

Just my two cents.

Yes, it has been quiet aroudn here.

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (6 of 16) 
 9308.6 in reply to 9308.1 
Everything originally comes from the organic. Plastic comes from oil which comes from dead plants and animals that have been squished over time.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (7 of 16) 
 9308.7 in reply to 9308.5 
With that second statement you're likely to give Chaos-based people crazy ideas. ;)

My Art Gallery

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (8 of 16) 
 9308.8 in reply to 9308.7 
Like me!
XD

Host at:
*Teen Pagans

Chat Moderator at:
*Astarte's Pagan Realm
*Healing Universe

Other cool places I visit
*Gekko Moon
*Canadian Pagans
I AM CANADIAN !
*Deech's House of Reason and Sanity
*Pagan Playground
*Sinnamon's Island

"It is the Essence of Heiho to build an indomitable spirit and an iron will; to believe that you cannot fail in doing anything"
-Miyamoto Musashi

=^^=

To: The Mountain Lynx (CidBurns)  (9 of 16) 
 9308.9 in reply to 9308.8 
Exactly.

My Art Gallery

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (10 of 16) 
 9308.10 in reply to 9308.9 
I had always thought that items used in rituals were supposed to be special, ie. your athame is *NOT* the same knife you carve the brisket with. I don't think you *have* to go to a specialty store to buy expensive items, but I also don't think you'd be using everyday items in rituals. As far as brooms go, don't they still sell the old fashioned wood handle and straw bristle brooms in stores?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Shotgun of The Short Path.

Get yours.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.