This world we live in.. -  Tax break for Witchcraft classes (55 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 
Here's something that I would not expect to see in the US anytime soon.

(The headline is also a link - it will bring you to the rest of the story.)

Tax break for witchcraft classes

Monday, October 31, 2005 Posted: 2240 GMT (0640 HKT)

APPELSCHA, Netherlands (AP) -- Cobwebs cling from the wooden rafters. Dusty shelves are cluttered with glass jars of home-brewed potions, dried herbs and stone amulets. An oil cooker and a black cauldron sit in the corner, ready for the next full moon.

This isn't a Halloween party, it's Margarita Rongen's year-round workshop and she is a witch -- according to her tax return.

Dutch witches were guaranteed a financial treat when the Leeuwarden District Court reaffirmed their legal right to write off the costs of schooling -- including in witchcraft -- against their tax bills. Those costs run to thousands of dollars.

The court found on September 23 that a witch can declare schooling costs if it increases the likelihood of employment and personal income.

Rongen, a mother of two grown children, runs a school for witches, the "Witches Homestead," in the northern Friesland province of the Netherlands. She has trained more than 160 disciples over the past four decades in "a religion that is older than Christianity," she said.

[...]

Image manipulated and presented courtesy of JDF

Reply   Options 

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (2 of 4) 
 9313.2 in reply to 9313.1 
That'd be great if we were suddenly given equal standing with churches like that...

My cats chase "dust".

Please note my sig images are not snaggable except for the fairy-chasing kitten. Thank you.

To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (3 of 4) 
 9313.3 in reply to 9313.2 

That's a pretty huge "IF".

The American Taliban would do anything - literally - to prevent that.

Image manipulated and presented courtesy of JDF

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (4 of 4) 
 9313.4 in reply to 9313.3 
That's what I'm afraid of.

My cats chase "dust".

Please note my sig images are not snaggable except for the fairy-chasing kitten. Thank you.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.