Living it! -  Just a reminder (54 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 

Every year I remind people not to put money into the red kettles circulated by the Salvation Army, for a variety of reasons we are all familiar with.

As has been noted here before, it is always a good idea to know the charities we are donating to. Make sure the money is well spent, and on issues that reflect *your* values, not those of some committee sitting in an office in DC or New York City.

I am sure we all have links to charities that can use the help. Feel free to post them, as well as why you prefer to give to those charities.

Reply   Options 

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (2 of 10) 
 9348.2 in reply to 9348.1 
The local Salvation Army sent me a letter asking for a donation. I remembered how they treated you, and threw it in the garbage. Besides, I have my own debts to worry about.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Shotgun of The Short Path.

Get yours.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (3 of 10) 
 9348.3 in reply to 9348.2 

Yeah, I have debts right now too.

I used to put all of my spare change in the bucket, but not anymore.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (4 of 10) 
 9348.4 in reply to 9348.3 
No such thing as spare change in this house, either.

Get yours.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (5 of 10) 
 9348.5 in reply to 9348.4 

Yeah, I am working day labor at Labor Ready to make money for rent until the next job starts up. If it starts up; I haven't heard anything more.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (6 of 10) 
 9348.6 in reply to 9348.1 
Thanks for the reminder Myth Blade. I know in Vancouver they laid off a bunch of their paid workers which kind of sucked...I thought that was rather ass backward of them. They're supposed to help people in poverty, yet they had no problem putting their employees into poverty.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (7 of 10) 
 9348.7 in reply to 9348.6 

Sweetheart, that is only a taste of what they do to employees.

Due a search on the internet. The Salvation Army has a lot of lawsuits pending against it, and most of them are for pretty slimy behavior.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (8 of 10) 
 9348.8 in reply to 9348.5 
Yeah, sounds like we're in the same boat. I've been working through Spherion for the past four months. They don't have insurance on their temps, and I've been told that I make too much to be allowed Medical Assistance from Welfare. They said they'd look into low cost insurance for me, but they're dragging their feet.

Get yours.

To: MythBlade (Talismonger)  (9 of 10) 
 9348.9 in reply to 9348.7 
I will remember to do that, thanks Mythblade.

From: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/8/06 9:52 AM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (10 of 10) 
 9348.10 in reply to 9348.8 
That sucks, hon.  I really wish things were better...

I'll be online today, playing hooky, but not really.  B's niece is in the hospital, 15yrs old, she was hit by a car on Wednesday coming home from school.  They had to do emergency reconstructive surgery on her left leg, the same surgery B had at that same age for the same reason.

Anyway, we're heading home sometime today to visit her and his grandma who just got out of the hospital also.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.