Requests-prayers,energy,etc, -  Fires out west... (86 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/22/07 2:14 PM 
To: All  (1 of 19) 
Hi everyone, please keep those who are being affected by the fires out here in your heart and mind...I have a very dear friend who was evacuated with her children and my mother and sister are just a couple of miles south (the Witch Fire in San Diego)...

Reply   Options 

To: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 19) 
 9363.2 in reply to 9363.1 
That was a pretty bad fire. Combination of fire and high winds and underbrush made it hard to put out.

From: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/26/07 1:20 AM 
To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 19) 
 9363.3 in reply to 9363.2 
Fortunately my friends and family have been able to return and with the change in the weather the firefighters are getting a better handle on things...*keeping fingers crossed*...

To: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 19) 
 9363.4 in reply to 9363.3 
Seems like a lot of the problem is that 'environmentalists' oppose clearing away underbrush. Some place gets 85-100mph winds every year, there are sure to be fires wherever there's lots of dry underbrush. So, clear away the frilling underbrush before the winds start.

From: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon10/26/07 3:21 PM 
To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 19) 
 9363.5 in reply to 9363.4 

Yep, that'd be your "wine and cheese" environmentalists you're talking about, sitting around $1000/plate dinners decrying the state of the environment when the closest they've been to "nature" is a walk thru central park, with guards...

Being a lifelong member of the Sierra Club, Natural Resources Defense Council, Council on Biological Diversity and a couple of others, and a Wildlife Biologist with a degree in Environmental Biology, and having worked in endangered species conservation for the last 10 years I can tell you that there are far too many "environmentalists" who have not a clue what it's like "on the ground"...

Now if only we could get our gov'ts (Federal State and local) to act in the best interests of "nature" on occasion, and quit throwing around inflammatory terms like "wacko environmentalists" and "tree-huggers" used to depersonalize the "enemy"...and listen to those who TRULY understand what's going on in the environment, rather than those with a sick, twisted, hidden agenda...THEN we may get somewhere...

The "Healthy Forests Initiative" was the most devious, short-sided, idiotic piece of legislation I have EVER had to pleasure of watching go down in proverbial flames because it was NOT about "Healthy Forests" but rather logging, reinvigorating a dying industry which could no longer support itself without government intervention (an entirely communist idea BTW) and everyone knew that...

In hindsight, Smokey the Bear was a great idea, but didn't consider that fire is inherent in many ecosystems (redwood, Sequoia, coastal sage, chaparral, and prairie for example) but fire ecology was in its infancy in the early 20th century...I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, about 20 minutes from the entrance to Yosemite, and you can bet your sweet bippy that I have not only the 100' clearance req'd by CDF, but more like 250' because I have been on the firelines many times, and watched fire trucks pass by homes that weren't cleared of brush...asked one firefighter about it and he replied "If the owner can't spend the time and energy clearing the dry grass and brush away from his home, why should I risk my life to try and save it for them?"...I thought..."Right on man...right on..."

Edited for misspellings that could cause grievous misinterpretations! *lol*

• Edited 10/26/2007 3:22 pm by *DZ* (Dark_DZ)

From: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/2/07 3:11 PM 
To: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 19) 
 9363.6 in reply to 9363.5 

*grin*  I may open a can of worms with this....but I work for the USFS.  We currently have several of our fire crew assigned to the CA fires.

We caught hell back in '02 from environmentalists after the Rodeo-Chedeski fire here locally.  Human-caused -- a firefighter (volunteer) started it because he wanted to work.  And someone lost in the forest started a signal fire.  Costliest fire I know of - almost 1/2 million acres, and over $150M to fight.

I understand the comment made by the firefighter about being "unwilling" to help the folks who don't make their homes defensible.  It always amazes me the flack we get on a daily basis from the locals about the FS.  They either hate us or love us.

Oh well.....

baby growth

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

From: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/2/07 5:15 PM 
To: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 19) 
 9363.7 in reply to 9363.6 

*LOL* Nah, ain't opening no "can o' worms" here =) My grandfather retired from USFS in 1984 (he was a "timber-beast" and I cut my teeth in "things natural" on his heel) my uncle just retired from USFS (Fire) in Oregon, I have friends in wildlife in USFS (and the engineering dept) here and down south...I know what y'all are up against!

Regarding the arson fire (the dude who set it for work), I remember that and can't remember if the Feds and/or State hit him for suppression costs (as they are legally obliged to do) but hey, he wouldn't be able to pay it anyhow, much like the old couple that was pulling that travel trailer with a flat tire thru Montana a few years back (shaking my head), I felt bad for them but they were convicted, fines were levied, then most of the fines were dropped...

The guy who shot the flare? What an idiot...it's one thing to get lost, it's another to do something entirely stupid as in his case!!

Yep, as with most agencies there is no (or very little) "middle ground"...I work often with agencies (state fed and local) and find the biggest issue is always...funding...*sigh*...but you're right, they either "love ya' or hate ya'"...and creating defensible space just goes with the territory...ppl either accept and do something about it, or watch the trucks drive on past (and rightfully so IMNSHO)...

From: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/2/07 5:48 PM 
To: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 19) 
 9363.8 in reply to 9363.7 

Actually, they threw the firefighter in jail.  There was another one recently from the Flagstaff area who unfortunately used to be on "my" forest, and he was convicted for the same thing - starting a wildfire in order to have some work.

Yeah!  A forest lover....LOL

baby growth

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

From: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/2/07 6:03 PM 
To: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 19) 
 9363.9 in reply to 9363.8 
I never did understand that..."setting fires to have work"...I mean, it *seems* logical enuf, in a twisted sort of way, but jeez, what about the potential for loss of life? How would he/she feel if someone died? *rolling my eyes and noting red flag warnings for SD...more Santa Anas I hear...*

To: *DZ* (Dark_DZ) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 19) 
 9363.10 in reply to 9363.5 

Makes fine sense, DZ. Thing is, the stupid frilling state and local governments need to get off their fat butts and do something.

Don't much care it's conservative or liberal. Don't even live in CA. The problem is obvious. Why don't the people in California deal with the problem?

Every year you have mudslides. Every year you have big fires. Does anyone there vote?

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-19
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.