Living it! -  Full Moon Dates (413 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (19 of 49) 
 9368.19 in reply to 9368.18 
The archery range we use is pretty good I think. I could see it getting crowded but whenever we're there there doesn't seem to be too many people. Unfortunately, being built on a swamp, most of the year it's really muddy. :P You have to bring your own targets, but a lot of times people will leave their old targets up for others to use. When we went on Sunday it looked like someone blessed the busloop by there because there were a lot of symbols drawn on the ground (!)

Congratulations on your new grandnephew and grandneice coming up. That's wonderful!

Reply   Options 

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (20 of 49) 
 9368.20 in reply to 9368.19 

ty!

Great that you have a for real archery range. Does sound like your place got some kind of Solstice time blessing.

There are sure to be ranges around here within reasonable driving distance. Mostly we used to practice in a back yard using low power bows at a short distance. The fence is high but, even so, it was probably a bit risky.

A sister has a large yard out in the country with no other houses close. That seems like a good place for us to practice using the niece's compound bow.

Really her bow is safer to shoot than regular straight or reflex bows of the same power. When you draw an arrow back the bow has a 'let-off' point near full draw where the pull required to hold the draw suddenly drops. So, it's easy to hold the draw and aim.

• Edited 6/19/2009 2:58 pm by SiFan

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (21 of 49) 
 9368.21 in reply to 9368.20 
Sometimes I even get nervous on the range because every now and then my arrow will deflect off the wooden edge of the butt and fly sideways somewhere. The butts are awfully close together. I've never heard of anyone getting injured there though. I have to be careful of the insects that fly past. Dragonflies and butterflies seem to like to fly in the line of fire!

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (22 of 49) 
 9368.22 in reply to 9368.21 

Sometimes I even get nervous on the range because every now and then my arrow will deflect off the wooden edge of the butt and fly sideways somewhere. The butts are awfully close together. I've never heard of anyone getting injured there though.

Archery is just plain kind of hazardous. Like you say it is so easy for a shot to go wide. I'd be sure to check who may be shooting before going to pluck my arrows from the target.

I have to be careful of the insects that fly past. Dragonflies and butterflies seem to like to fly in the line of fire!

Could be perfume or cologne. Insects do tend to zero in on scents.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (23 of 49) 
 9368.23 in reply to 9368.22 
You're right, you always need to be wary of what's going on around you. And it makes sense that inects would be attracted to nice smelling people. The robins like to hang around after someone's been practicing there; I guess the arrows that hit the ground stir up a lot of worms! There are also insects that live inside the butts; they live so far inside though that I think they're okay.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (24 of 49) 
 9368.24 in reply to 9368.23 

Bet you're right about the arrows making it easier for the robins to get worms. Around here we have grackles that love to follow you around while you're mowing the grass to get the worms that get stirred up by the vibrations.

You have insects that live inside your arrows?

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (25 of 49) 
 9368.25 in reply to 9368.24 
Inside the butts. They're made of cork so they make nests in there I guess. When the arrow gets lodged into the but I would think that would be disruptive, but they seem to be very happy even though it must be like living near a construction site. They cork is very thick, I guess they live back far in enough.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (26 of 49) 
 9368.26 in reply to 9368.25 

Inside the butts. They're made of cork so they make nests in there I guess. When the arrow gets lodged into the but I would think that would be disruptive, but they seem to be very happy even though it must be like living near a construction site. They cork is very thick, I guess they live back far in enough.

LOL! That's so cool. Nice of you to cart them around. Insects get the word out about their friends.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (27 of 49) 
 9368.27 in reply to 9368.26 
We have such pretty dragonflies at he range because it was built on a swamp. (Not great to walk on, er through in the spring and fall, but if you wear boots you'll be okay in the deep muddy patches.) They're a beautiful ultramarine blue a lot of them.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (28 of 49) 
 9368.28 in reply to 9368.27 
They're sure to keep down the mosquitos. Ever had one land on your hand? You can move it up closer and It'll sit there and look at you eye to eye. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-8 9-18 19-28 29-38 39-48 49
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.