Cars -  Harley recalls nearly 175K bikes in U.S. (122 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-7 3:31 PM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 

Harley recalls nearly 175K bikes in U.S. because brakes can fail

Harley-Davidson is recalling several hundred thousand motorcycles because the brakes might fail.

The voluntary recall, which last week Harley said would cost it $29.4 million, covers CVO Touring and VSRC bikes — model years 2008 through 2011 — equipped with anti-lock brakes.

Worldwide it includes more than 251,000 motorcycles, with nearly 175,000 of those bikes sold in the U.S. 

In July 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating problems with the brakes after getting 43 complaints, including reports of three crashes and two injuries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/02/07/harley-recalls-nearly-175-k-bikes-because-brakes-can-fail/314401002/

photo Shorty_Val_zpsblmhr9e4.png

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-11 10:50 AM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 8) 
 351.2 in reply to 351.1 

Too bad USA Today did not report ALL the facts, the recall includes nearly ALL ABS bikes from 2008-2011, not just CVO and VSRC models, some 30 models are affected. 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V076-4574.PDF

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited February 11, 2018 10:52 am  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Reply   Options 

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-11 7:10 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 351.3 in reply to 351.2 

Shame on them for not telling the whole story

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-12 7:33 AM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 8) 
 351.4 in reply to 351.3 

They actually did, the grammar was so poor that it read as only CVO and VRSC, they dropped a comma and did not capitalize Touring.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-12 7:56 AM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 351.5 in reply to 351.4 

Someone didn't double check their work before printing it.....

To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 8) 
 351.6 in reply to 351.5 

I bought a brand new 2007 Heritage Softail Classic, you guessed it, in 2007. This bike did not have abs but the brakes, especially the front was the worst. I made sure there was no air in the line although that would result in a spongy brake which I did not have. I tried EBC brakes and they did not help. Granted I only had one caliper up front but other bikes I've owned with similar one caliper design that stopped just fine. I never took it back to the dealer because I know what they would say. They think everyone out there no's nothing about mechanics. They would give it the one, two and say nothing is wrong.

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-12 12:34 PM 
To: razzkar  (7 of 8) 
 351.7 in reply to 351.6 

A little trick; bleed the brakes as traditionally but add in the step of bleeding the caliper, then bleed each line by loosening each banjo/junction and assuring fluid is free of trapped air, including the banjo at the master cylinder.  When you do the complex bleed described, go from far to near on the system. 

It is absolutely amazing how one micro-bubble trapped at a junction or banjo can spongify the brake feel.

This is NOT in any book, it is experience with clutches and brakes that feel iffy.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-12 2:52 PM 
To: razzkar unread  (8 of 8) 
 351.8 in reply to 351.6 

IMO car repair shops are just as bad, if not worse

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.