Sand_Grain

The world in a Sand Grain

Hosted by Sand_Grain

Current debate about contemporary life, ancient historical issues, and just about everything in between in different languages

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Repay $18,500 in CERB benefits   Dare you - Canada

Started 12/12/20 by DimeTrious; 1369 views.
DimeTrious

12/12/20

P.E.I. woman asked to repay $18,500 in CERB benefits by year-end.

globe_with_meridians
Christine MacDonald says she did everything possible to make sure she actually qualified for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit before she applied in March.

Her home-based custom cake business -- which relied on people ordering cakes for weddings and birthday parties -- was in the process of falling flat thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions being imposed.

That left her household with only the income from her husband's construction job.

Everything she saw told her she would qualify for the CERB because she had more than $5,000 in self-employment income in 2019.

So she applied, receiving her first payment on April 16. Between the CERB and the Canada Recovery Benefit that replaced it, her benefits thus far in 2020 have totalled $18,500.

But on Nov. 26, MacDonald received a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency saying she never actually qualified and would have to pay all the money back -- with the suggestion she do so by Dec. 31 to avoid tax penalties.

CBC News December 11, 2020, 4:53 p.m. GMT-5

MORE

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cerb-benefits-payback-macdonald-casey-1.5838395

In reply toRe: msg 1
DimeTrious

12/12/20

The landing page detailing the eligibility requirements on Canada.ca still does not mention the word 'net' when referring to income from self-employment.

Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA
Eligibility criteria - Closed

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra/who-apply.html

Gonghis (GonghisKhan)

13/12/20

Canadian have consented their tax-money to thousands of unfair CERB beneficiary to adjust their net income after the factual and adjourned judgments?

Honestly too COMPLICATED to comprehend!

Eliot (Elohimil)

14/12/20

Uho!!! This what happens when you don't read the fine print!!

AuntBetsie

27/12/20

NOTHING GRANTED BY THE GOVERNMENT COMES GRATIS!

it was crystal clear to me that they weren’t referring to gross sales as soon as I looked a it.

Canada Revenue Agency relented, however. No one had to pay it back for this violation.

DimeTrious

4/6/21

Honestly, I don't know what Canada Revenue Agency  are up to - but you make a good point!