Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1111475 views.
viola (sissly4)

Jul-22

Thank's Sandy for your kind words.I will not be working on it now.I am cleaning all my loose ends of material and making quilts.If I am still around when Retreat come maybe then I will be ready to make one.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-22

I finished the Dumbo quilt top!!  I learned lots doing the piano key border.  Didn't come out with matched seams as I'd planned.  But I went with it instead of ripping everything out as I gotta gift this at the baby shower in two weeks.  

I did figure out where i went wrong though.  I forgot when I was attaching the piano keys At each end I made the last few seams a bit wider to take up some of the extra I had to ease it to meet at the end.  So...  when I mitered it those last keys' seams did not meet at the miter.  Oh well...  I'll measure and fit things better the next time I try a piano key border.  Or maybe I'll just set with cornerstones!!

Now I need to prepare the backing and get it on Lizzie.  I'm going to try to quilt around Dumbo and the lines on him and all his toys and lines on them.  Then, to try another new thing...  I hope to do a med to larger size stipple in the background or wavy lines radiating out to kind of allow Dumbo to have a bit of softer dimension.  Whatchall think?  Any suggestions?  

Also, about binding...  I was going to slow the eye by doing the border in the red-orange but David suggested a scrappy border the fabrics in the piano keys.  Whatchall vote for the border.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-22

I vote for a solid or solid-looking binding.  That will give the eye a definite edge.

I think if you do a scrappy binding, it will blend with the border and your eye will float off into the distance.

KSCarolyn

Jul-22

I agree with Shelley, solid binding.  I'm afraid it would just disappear if it is scrappy.

Carolyn 

MarciainMD

Jul-23

That quilt top is darling!  I vote for the solid border.

qltmkr1

Jul-23

Just being a 'buttinski' here, and would like to put in a few ideas; what about echo quilting around the toys and Dumbo (make each echo as far apart as is easy for you, and to keep the quilt from being stiff), solid border, then a scrappy binding?

Love the way your piano keys turned out, and the random way they intersect at the corners!  Adds even more interest to an already fun quilt.

bornblesse2

Jul-23

Suze, oh Really?  A sneeze put the bone back in place?  I am astounded!   Never heard of such a thing....

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-25

Thanks so much.  The echo quilting is a great idea.  I never thought of that!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-25

Thanks Shelley, Carolyn and others who have suggested the solid border.  I agree and admit that's what I was thinking to do as I planed this quilt.  I appreciate all the affirmation and input!