Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1141276 views.

Be sure to give me a holler! As long as it's not weekend, I have time available most days :) 

Midkid5

Aug-18

Your idea makes / reminds me of the progressive suppers that we attended years ago.

Jo

LABFIEND

Aug-18

viola (sissly4) said:

at Yoder Kansas

I've been thru there on the way to Hutchinson, never stopped at the quilt shop, maybe next time!!

KSCarolyn

Aug-18

viola (sissly4) said:

When you and Bob are going  thru Kansas stop at Yoder Kansas.It is a Amish village.They have a big Cafe  where tour buses stop to eat and a quilt store.

I've been there many times.  The restaurant is named Carriage Crossing.  The waitresses are cute little Amish girls.  Great food made from scratch and they sell beautiful quilts made by the local ladies.  I'm thinking it would be a great place to go when Cathy, Bob, and Patty are here.  It's about an hour+ from my house.  Oh, and did I mention the giant cinnamon rolls?

KSCarolyn

Aug-18

LABFIEND said:

I've been thru there on the way to Hutchinson, never stopped at the quilt shop, maybe next time!!

It's not exactly a quilt shop although they have beautiful handmade quilts for sale.  They are famous for their food and their gift shop.  It's a little over an hour from my house but worth the drive.  

Carolyn

judyinohio

Aug-19

Carolyn, I thought everyone had been made aware of how the Amish hire the Hmong and other southeast Asians to make most of their quilts that they sell to the tourist trade these  days. The quilts are hand made, the applique work is beautiful and the work is done under the direction of the Amish but the quilts are actually made overseas.

This is a link to an article from 2006 in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2006-04-30-hmong30-story.html

KSCarolyn

Aug-19

No, I didn't know that.  I'm not sure this is the case in Yoder.  They don't have a quilt shop at the restaurant but a huge attached gift shop.  The quilts I was talking about are in the lobby of the restaurant, maybe 4 or 5, with the quilters name on them.  They are pricey though.  I will ask about it when I go there next time.  I hope it's not true.

Carolyn

judyinohio

Aug-19

Well, if the quilt has a quilter's name on it then it is probably legitimate. (I almost wrote kosher but that's the wrong word, isn't it? LOL) 

Just thought you should be aware of what is going on in the handmade quilt market where there is a huge tourist market traveling through.

viola (sissly4)

Aug-19

The quilt shop is on main street where the postoffice is and grocies store.

KSCarolyn

Aug-19

Thanks, Viola, I didn't know it was there.  I thought you were talking about Carriage Crossing Restaurant.  Next time I'm there I will check it out.

Carolyn