Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1138097 views.
judyinohio

Aug-19

Carolyn, I thought everyone had been made aware of how the Amish hire the Hmong and other southeast Asians to make most of their quilts that they sell to the tourist trade these  days. The quilts are hand made, the applique work is beautiful and the work is done under the direction of the Amish but the quilts are actually made overseas.

This is a link to an article from 2006 in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2006-04-30-hmong30-story.html

KSCarolyn

Aug-19

No, I didn't know that.  I'm not sure this is the case in Yoder.  They don't have a quilt shop at the restaurant but a huge attached gift shop.  The quilts I was talking about are in the lobby of the restaurant, maybe 4 or 5, with the quilters name on them.  They are pricey though.  I will ask about it when I go there next time.  I hope it's not true.

Carolyn

judyinohio

Aug-19

Well, if the quilt has a quilter's name on it then it is probably legitimate. (I almost wrote kosher but that's the wrong word, isn't it? LOL) 

Just thought you should be aware of what is going on in the handmade quilt market where there is a huge tourist market traveling through.

viola (sissly4)

Aug-19

The quilt shop is on main street where the postoffice is and grocies store.

KSCarolyn

Aug-19

Thanks, Viola, I didn't know it was there.  I thought you were talking about Carriage Crossing Restaurant.  Next time I'm there I will check it out.

Carolyn

3carats (MaryDinFL)

Aug-19

Judy, Thanks for the article about the hmong quilters. We have subscribed to the Orlando Sentinel for 50 years and I guess I missed that story. It was very interesting to me as I am from Pennsylvania originally.

I cringed when you said you threw the Storm At Sea mini quilt  pieces in the trash. I was so upset  I bought  the bright kit because I like the pattern. I got the 9 inch block and will hang it in my living room. The laser cuts are so nice to work with.

bornblesse2

Aug-19

Viola,  I grew up near Yoder, KS!  And when first taught school, it was just a few minutes down the road!

homemade everything from pie to bread, to all of it!  Best homecooking ever!

bornblesse2

Aug-19

Carolyn,  there used to be an Amish family that lived just outside of Yoder that actually carried fabric!  No electricity, so we were encouraged to take the fabrics outside to see better....lol.  It was the best ever selection of solid colors!

the mother and daughter would come in from the garden or house when you drove up and wait on you!  Wonder if it is still in business?  It was about a mile down a blacktopped 2 lain road to the east of the bakery and school.

bornblesse2

Aug-19

Judy, not in the small town of Yoder!  They still make their own.  

KSCarolyn

Aug-20

Wonder if that is the same quilt shop Viola was talking about?  

Carolyn

• Edited August 20, 2019 5:26 am  by  KSCarolyn