Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1414651 views.
Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Jun-10

Judy I got lucky about a year ago and found a Martha Washington cabinet that fits a White sewing machine. One of these days I will acquire one of the White “embossed“ machines to put in it, even if I only use it for decoration since I prefer sewing with my Singers. Previously I had found the storage cabinets in this style but this was the first time I found an actual sewing machine cabinet that wasn’t trashed.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Jun-10

Since Covid started ramping up around the same time as the 2020 retreat, retreat has been on my mind quite a bit. I shared a few ideas with one of the hostesses, but I know you guys are right that it’s a bit too early to truly know how we’re going to handle certain things.

I know someone had asked about using a smaller room, but in fact we need that larger space to keep the necessary distance between retreatees.

At the moment, I’m more concerned I think about flying than I am about being around all y’all. I am going to try to convince my husband that we need to turn it into a road trip, but I’m not sure if he will go for it. I’ve tried to talk him into it in the past. I guess we will see. He usually uses his extra vacation time to go skiing, and our retreat is right in the middle of prime ski season. If I could drive more than an hour at a time I would do it myself, but it would take me forever to get to Arizona joy

LABFIEND

Jun-10

Misha (MISHAMISHA) said:

I know someone had asked about using a smaller room, but in fact we need that larger space to keep the necessary distance between retreatees. At the moment, I’m more concerned I think about flying than I am about being around all y’all.

I know it is too early to know what it will be like in Feb, we could  decrease the number in the room and the rest of us sew in our own rooms with the door open!  i know I am also more leary of flying than the retreat, but i could drive (think of what I could haul home!!)  Hopefully by the time retreat comes up, we will have a better idea of what to do!

LABFIEND said:

and the rest of us sew in our own rooms with the door open!

I think that is genius!!!! Yes we could sew in our rooms and maybe have some of the stuff where we all meet outside where we can social distance.........Love your idea!!!!

Me I am always up for a road trip so I have no problem driving.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Jun-10

We could sew in shifts. The morning crew from 6am to 3pm and the afternoon shift from 3:30pm to the wee hours! (Or something like that)

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-10

Misha (MISHAMISHA) said:

I know someone had asked about using a smaller room

That was me...but not at the exclusion of the big retreat room but in addition so that we wouldn't have to reduce the number of participants quite as much...but if they don't have any empty rooms, its moot anyway. 

Though I do like the idea of sewing in the rooms with the door open (as long as its not raining!!)  The logistics of determining which person should be in which room at what time could get complicated!!

Good ideas here...

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-10

i guess we should all just pray they have a viable, effective vaccine available in enough time to build the antibodies before the retreat....

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-12

What a good find to discover a Martha Washington cabinet which hold a sewing machine!  Lucky for you!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-12

Misha (MISHAMISHA) said...

At the moment, I’m more concerned I think about flying than I am about being around all y’all.

I get that.  Is there a train you can take south and east.  You'd like have to go to LA and transfer to the line going east but possibly?  DJ's scout group went to New Mexico via bus and train to LA from San Jose and then to New Mexico.  Might work for AZ.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-12

Suze (casuzenn) said...

Though I do like the idea of sewing in the rooms with the door open

This is an interesting idea but wouldn't work as well if the room are inside looking to the pool and outside looking to the freeway and streets.  Then on multiple levels.  Just our luck the elevator would go out!