Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1409157 views.

I also thought about a train.  However, the idea is to minimize the amount of time you are in close contact with others, and that would be many more hours on a train than it would be on a plane.  You can only socially distance so far on a common carrier.  Of course, you would be in contact with many more people at the airport and on the plane than would probably be on the train.  So it might be a toss-up.    

Judy (DJZMOM) said:

Is there a train you can take south and east.

Last year I took Amtrak from Albuquerque to Barstow California. The train runs from Chicago to LA. The route we mosty followed was along I40 and the closest we got to Phoenix was a stop in Flagstaff. I guess you would have to take a bus from Flagstaff to go to Phoenix. You and Shelley could drive and pick up Suze along the way.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Jun-12

The problem with taking a train in the Pacific Northwest is that they will convert you from a train to a bus in a heartbeat due to mudslides, so it’s really risky when your goal is to avoid close contact with others.

Mishii

Jun-12

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

thought about a train.

In reality though, do we really think everything will be at the same level in 7 months?

The point of social distancing and the lock down wasn't to avoid everyone catching the virus, it was to flatten the curve....to take longer for herd immunity to develop so we didn't overwhelm the medical resources.  Am I misremembering that?

No, I do not think many things will be the same in 7 months as they are today.  In fact, I would not be afraid to fly or ride a train or bus anywhere today, except to areas where there is civil unrest, but that's something totally different.  I think that surely by February everything will be much more relaxed, disease vector-wise.  I have a cruise scheduled for the first week in October, and will need to fly to Orlando to get to the port and back.  If the cruise is not scheduled by the cruise line itself, I will be on it.  If they do cancel it, I will get all my money back and go sometime later.  Either way, I'm okay with it.  I'm really not that worried about what will happen in February, but I think a lot of people are.

bornblesse2

Jun-13

The train goes thru Flagstaff!  But there are shuttles that come down to Phx....in case you want to know!

i think On the trains you can still get a compartment....

bornblesse2 said:

i think On the trains you can still get a compartment.

Ellen you are right. I kinda wish I could have gotten a compartment as the train I took a year ago got into Barstow in the wee dark 30 hours and I could not sleep well sitting upright in a seat. Being able to lie down would have been so much better. Actually on a side not taking the train was awesome to see all the scenery go by and just relax like you can't in a car.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Jun-13

Last time we took a train I looked into a sleeper and it was hella expensive compared to a regular ticket. I forget how much more but at least 4x iirc.

viola (sissly4)

Jun-13

I just was at Barstow Sat night .What was their to see? We just slept there.It is a pretty old town.

viola (sissly4) said:

I just was at Barstow Sat night .What was their to see? We just slept there.It is a pretty old town.

Viola I was not staying or visiting Barstow. DH drove down from Mojave and picked me up there from the train............that is as close as the train got to where I was going and it was a 50 mile drive to go back up to Mojave.